Intel ?? motherboard

Punkychan

OSNN Addict
I tried to upgrade my PC by installing a second hard drive (Maxtor 40Gb) connected as slave to my IDE cable it doesn't work.If connected separately, ( I mean 1 only as master) it works fine, but connecting both master and slave, it won't .You'll only see a black screen on the monitor.
Questions: ?
1.I've heard of BIOS upgrade, how doo I do that ?
2.I went to Intel's website trying to upgrade, but don't know which one to upgrade.
3.I've read in the forum sometimes back there is an IDE BIOS upgrade.How do I do that ?
Can some give me a link ??
Thanks. Anyway,my motherboard is IBM 82810e 810e Intel chipset.I think its an OEM since its been bundled with my PC.
Help.

Have you tried setting the jumpers to cable select ???

well for start you
1. if it is an ibm board u will have to get bios update from ibm oem manufacturers site ( lest if you try to flash bios from intel site, you could make board inoperable)
2.have set the jumpers on the new hard drive to slave.
When they leave the factory they are usually set to master or cable select by default.
try reading the jumper settings instruction label on the hard drive
:)

Some drives have two different master settings. Master alone and master with slave present. Have you checked this?

Thanks guys for the reply.
But upon reply to Two ZizZagColt45, which HDD is set to cable select ? the master (40G new) or the primary ? (20G old) ?
Reply to Mudgut, I've set the jumper to 'master' and 'slave' as on Maxtor's guide, but what I see is a blank black screen, the HD 'sounds' to 'move' (there is a sound) but nothing on the screen.Real pitch black man....
On reply to Zedric, I even went through the Maxtor's website (the tutorial) and configured as they instructed...stilll...I see darkness on my screen.But the funny thing is., if each of the HDD is fixed seperately, (one each at a time, and all as 'master'., the Windows will load as normal. What I have in mind now is to attached it to another PC (which also runs XP Pro) and see what it gets..maybe I'll get news for everyone....but I still like to try that 'old' mobo...Any more clues ??
(This matters is getting more interested for me...hmm..maybe for the benefits of everyone later.

its the slave jumper settings
change them to cable select

dvaajum3.gif

:cool:

Sorry for the late reply.Was busy tinkering with that PC and the HD problems,now I had found the fault.Since both my HDs are Maxtors., I have to configure both into 'cable select '.Such a way, it will work but as to previous jumper selections, (master/slave, master/cable select ) the 2nd HD won't be recognised.Anyway, thanks for all your help,guys.Will post a thread if there is another problem.Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back