Intel Confirms End of Hyperthreading

I think they must be different as Intel and AMD are totally different companies with different goals and aspirations. I imagine just because intel dropped the tech doesn't necessarily mean AMD will. In the meantime though, I just want a the AMD X2 +4800... Battlefield 2 needs dual core...

HyperThreading ("HT") was Intel's way of tricking the OS into thinking there were two CPU's or cores. Since dual core CPU's are available now there is no need for HT anymore.

HT is not related to AMD's Hyper Transport.

I was wondering because, I thought they did similar things and that since Intel have pulled out of their HT, then developers would be less inclined in writing code for HT and there would be no applications for HT so AMD would have to pull out as well. If you understand what Im meaning.

No, its different.

HT for Intel is Hyperthreading. It is like having 2 virtual processors (or 4 if its dual-core) but apps have to be coded to take advantage of this. It is prudent to eliminate it since dual-core procs are multi-threading capable already and coding is simpler.

Eliminates a lot of work.

HT for AMD is hypertransport. It is like an internal bus mechanism, it has nothing to do with multi-threading.

There are different, and I imagine that Intel had gotten the idea for HT from Digital's SMT or simultanious multithreading, which was slated for the EV8 or 21464... The doc doesn't exist anymore at the same links, but in one from Digital, it gave direct comparisons to IA-64, why they did what they did, and how they planned on "beating it". Both Intel and AMD got engineers from the companies breakup, Intel got their fab, and it wouldn't be beyond reason.

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT122600000000&p=4

An obvious question to ask is how does an SMT processor offer up its multithreading capabilities to software. In the case of the EV8, it is with an abstraction called a thread processing unit or TPU. A TPU is essentially a single-threaded virtual processor that is presented to the lowest level of the operating system hardware abstraction layer (HAL). The EV8’s four way SMT capabilities are represented with four separate TPUs as shown in Figure 5.

Essentially the EV8 appears to software as consisting of four separate processors that share a single set of translation lookaside buffers (TLBs) and caches. The advantages of SMT over a real four-way chip level multiprocessor (CMP) are there is only one physical processor occupying die area and cache coherency occurs without extra logic or overhead.

Anyhow, the advantage, if what Intel was doing, is similar to what Digital originally planed (as a responce to Itanium actually), would be in allowing 1 thread to run on more then 1 proc simultaniously...

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?articleid=RWT122600000000

The EV8 uses a more powerful mechanism than either coarse or fine grained multithreading to exploit TLP. Called Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT), it allows the instructions from two or more threads to be issued to execution units each cycle. This process is illustrated conceptually in Figure 1D. The advantage of SMT is that it permits TLP to be exploited all the way down to the most fundamental level of hardware operation - instruction issue slots in a given clock period. This allows instructions from alternate threads to take advantage of individual instruction execution opportunities presented by the normal ILP inefficiencies of single thread program execution. SMT can be thought of as equivalent to the airline practice of using standby passengers to fill seats that would have otherwise flown empty.

Consider a single thread executing on a superscalar processor. Conventional superscalar processors such as the Alpha EV6 fall well short of utilizing all the available instruction issue slots. This is caused by execution inefficiencies including data dependency stalls, cycle by cycle shortfall between thread ILP and the processor resources given limited re-ordering capability, and memory accesses that miss in cache. The big advantage of SMT over other approaches is its inherent flexibility in providing good performance over a wide spectrum of workloads. Programs that have a lot of extractable ILP can get nearly all the benefit of the wide issue capability of the processor. And programs with poor ILP can share with other threads instruction issue slots and execution resources that otherwise would have gone unused.

awesome-o said:
I think they must be different as Intel and AMD are totally different companies with different goals and aspirations. I imagine just because intel dropped the tech doesn't necessarily mean AMD will. In the meantime though, I just want a the AMD X2 +4800... Battlefield 2 needs dual core...

Sure, if you have no clue how to tweak a PC and BF2's settings. Let me know if you need any tips on either.

:)

EDIT - Son, that went wayyyy over my head, but nice post. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back