Instant Messengers

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Hud, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Hud

Hud Guest

I'm thinking of installing AIM or ICQ to chat with my son but don't know which one to go with so I' asking for recommendations. I have NIS 2003 installed will this be a problem with either program.? Thanks! H.F.

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

why not just join our IRC chat room and have him do it too and chat there??

I don't like either AIM or ICQ myself, I would use MSN messenger myself.

[​IMG]

3. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

msn messenger is the simplist!!

4. U2Penn

U2Penn U2Penn

u might wanna check out yahoo messenger. u can voice and video chat with someone as well. yahoo is my favorite.

5. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

6. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

MSN Messenger is pretty simple. Yahoo is nice. ICQ is bloated with a bunch of junk(Look for Miranda ICQ).

7. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

Yahoo here
    MSN bleh
    ICQ bleh
    AIM bleh

8. lechtard

lechtard Guest

I agree - Trillian is the simplist one to use .. I use it for AIM, MSN, and Yahoo .. I use the ICQ client in itself ..

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I'd say MSN. ICQ's too bloated, IRC isn't that good for just talking to one person. as for yahoo and aim, i dont use them, so i can't judge them.
    MSN's nice and easy to use and you can use voice/webcam's too.

10. Burpster

Burpster Guest

only one i've used is MSN ...with a headset its like talking on phone ....add a webcam and its even better :)

11. method

method Guest

Can I talk to AOL Instant Messenger ppl with the messenger that comes with windows xp?

12. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

No, that is Windows Messenger and can be used to chat on the MSN Messenger Network

To talk to AO Hell people you will need to get the AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)

Well actually you can, but they have to sign up with a MSN Messenger Account (hotmail, msn or passport)

13. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

I believe ICQ and AIM (AOL) have merged their chat clients, at least they were suppose to. That would mean you could chat with AIM ppl with ICQ and visa versa.

14. Geffy

That should be good, I wouldnt have to install AIM to chat to people on there

Personally I wish there was a single client that could do all of them, so If you had a MSN account then you could also chat to people on ICQ, MSN, AIM and Yahoo! IM. And I dont mean something like trillian

15. Jewelzz

There is, it's called Trillian or Easy Message (think that's it anyway) :)

16. Geffy

No Trillian can log into all of them, but you cant do like a conference chat with people from each of the different accounts

17. Hud

Hud Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions! I decided to try ICQ Lite for now. I'm going to try some of the other programs after I get familiar with instant messaging. I was going to try Yahoo Messenger but the web page said the voice chat wouldn't work through a fire wall. Will voice chat in MSN Messenger work through a fire wall (NIS 2003)?

18. Jewelzz

Yes it will, I've used it before running NIS2002

19. Geffy

It will work, it just takes a tiny bit more configurin

In most cases it would be telling to allow all activities for the IM client you are using.

20. anewhope

anewhope Guest

You can't beat trillian pro. MSN is bloated and Yahoo! is too. I like to keep it simple and trillian is best for this.