Installing XP on only 32MB

• Thread starter BobTheBuilder
  • Start date
Originally posted by XP Abuser
it will not install and itll run like poo

if it wont install... then how would we know it runs like poo? :p

Originally posted by koko
i think you must have at least 128mb of ram to install any version of xp.

o.k., one stick of 512mb sdram is only $27! if you can't afford that, you shouldn't own a 'puter! ;)

i think xp will run on 64mb, but like bobthebuilder said... it would run like a dog lol

i wish i could get 1x512mb ram - my mobo takes 768mb max... but it doesnt accept 256mb or 512mb ram sticks LOL (pc spec #1)

i mean... damn!! 27$ is like £15!!

Well, I plugged in an extra 128MB on top of the 32MB and now I have.....64MB! The Pentium chipset cache cannot work over 64MB apparently. Oh well. So I installed NT4.0, took 20 mins, startup was quick even Office 2000 is quick but the network card failed to show up. So I installed XP, took 2 hours, Office 2000 is slow but network card works.

Think it is time to put some Linux on it. All I need it for is monitoring some Unix servers, show load etc.

Yeah, goes back down to 32mb ! I assume it is using the first 32 mb of each slot.

hmm... weird. what actual spec is this old pc? i got a 200mmx system (missing only a fdd an a cdrom) and it used to hold a 128mb pc133 (believe it or not!) its got a TX-Pro mobo (not the one with sound onboard - jus the standard cheap style lol)

Originally posted by Dell (on their website)
Can I Upgrade the Memory on My Dell® Dimension® M200s to 128 MB of RAM?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade the memory on a Dimension M200s to 128 MB (megabytes) of RAM (Random Access Memory). However, you may experience some performance limitations because Windows® 95 and the Intel® Pentium® I processor only cache up to 64 MB of RAM. A system with this configuration and 128 MB of RAM may slightly improve performance for some applications while producing performance degradation in others. You may want to consider upgrading the entire system to one with a current Intel processor and new components that will more effectively enhance your overall computing experience, rather than pursuing a memory upgrade above 64 MB of RAM.

i see your point about limitations :( although its nice to see (sarcasm) they try to convince you that if you want more ram, u should get a new intel processor and new components (i.e. a new pc) lol.

i just looked on the net a bit bout the pc to see if there is perhaps a loophole to the problem, but saw this

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/memx/dimxpsm2.html

:/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back