Installing Win2K on XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Grymblayd, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Grymblayd

Grymblayd Guest

Presently I have XP installed and wish to have Win2kadvserver
    installed as well. The thing is I need to "delete" XP and install
    Win2k first. I already have everything backed-up and need to know what you think is the best way to go about doing this.
    For one thing, how do you boot to a command prompt?
    Thanks in advance .

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I believe 2k can whipe the disk inside the installation program just as XP can.
    If you want to boot into the command prompt you'll need a bootdisk or boot into the Recovery Console using the XP CD.

3. Grymblayd

Grymblayd Guest

Thanks for the reply .....insofar as the wipe...
    when I tried to install win2k directly it stated that it found a newer version of windows and would not continue the installation process...once I get to the command prompt I'll just dig into i386 and I'll be set.

4. Zedric

You could format the disk using the XP CD. After it's formatted just terminate the installation and install 2k.

5. Grymblayd

Grymblayd Guest

I tried that prior to posting, I also just made a boot disk and when I tried to change directories it said invalid for c:, d:, e: etc.
    Stuff like that gets really annoying, I am going for my MCSE and really want to get this going ....if I can't even do this I'm going back to kindergarten. "anybody want this clay pencil holder I made?"

6. Zedric

If you use a bootdisk you will boot into MS-DOS. MS-DOS cannot read NTFS partitions and therefore you cannot see c: d: and e: since they are NTFS partitions. If you put fdisk on the boot disk you should be able to at least remove and remake the partitions.

7. Grymblayd

Grymblayd Guest

Believe it or not I thought that was the case, that's why I have Partitions of Fat, Fat32 And NTFS on my External Hardrive.
    You have been a great help and I thank you.

8. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

just wanted to throw this in... good luck with your MCSE m8 :)

9. ReC0iL

ReC0iL Guest

I hate formatting... It's evil *makes cross with fingers* EVIL!!!