Installing SB Live 5.1

T

Tomzl

I'm having problems installing my soundcard. Computer detects the new hardware but is unable to install it. I get a message from the New Hardware Wizard saying it can't install the device due to invalid data. I thought the problem could be that before installing the SB 5.1 I used the soundcard integrated on the motherboard. I disabled the old souncard in bios and uninstalled its drivers but still no success. I downloaded the latest drivers for XP and the problem persists. Changing the PCI slot didn't help either. Any ideas as to what may be causing the problem?

I found this in another thread and it's helped me each time i get that nasty invalid data error ;)

This is a fix for if you ever had a "data invalid" problem that nags you while you were installing and swapping out cards with Windows XP.

This error appears to be due to a protection problem in the Windows registry and can occur with a variety of drivers (sound cards and SCSI drivers have been reported). To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "regedit" without the quotes to run the Registry Editor. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetENUMPCI

and you will see a number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will be another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install. Right Click on the "VEN_xxxx" for that device and select 'Permissions' and then tick "Allow" for "Full Control". Close Regedit and then continue with the installation of your device.
I cannot guarantee it works for everyone, but although I swear by it after swearing at it(XP), it should help you if you ever had casual problem.

It worked!!!!!!!!!!

I had almost given up. Thank you thank you thank you. I knew there was just a simple trick to it. I searched throughout the internet and many forums but nobody knew what the problem was. Thank you again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back