Installing Mobo Combo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by koko, Feb 27, 2003.

1. koko

koko Got Root?

i'm planning on purchasing an asus mobo and an amd 1.53ghz combo.

i would like to try installing it myself in my existing system.

can any of you hardware gurus give me a heads up on what i need to do? i know there's more involved than simply taking out the old mobo + cpu and installing the new one.

any help/suggestions are appreciated. ;)

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I usually just take out the old MB and put in the new one...
    Windows XP is very good about MB upgrades. Make sure you back up any improtant stuff on your HD first.

If you aren't feeling that brave or if it doesn't go that well:
    Set the bios to "minimum features, safe mode", whatever your brand calls it. This takes out the fancy stuff that can cause problems for lack of updated drivers. Then after all is up and running add back in the "performance features".

Get the ram in the right slot(s) they're numbered. Set the ram speed dip switch/jumper if oyu have one else auto selecty in bios.

Set the multiplier dip switches (or bios to auto detect) to the right setting for your CPU.

Make sure you get the case LED wires on in the right direction or the led's won't come on.

PS Don't work on your PC while stoned. See other posts in this area.

3. koko

koko Got Root?

thnx for all the info leejend! :happy:

so i don't need to format my hdd?

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

anytime you have a major hardware update I highly recommend a format/reinstall of the operating system... specially if it is windows XP...

5. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

Sometimes you get lucky and your xp don't mind about a massive hardware change, but I would anyway, make sure you soak up max performance!

And everybody loves a freshly formatted system, it is fun to put 98 or me on my pc got it flys like sh1t off a shovel!

Skazz

6. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

Great you out this up KoKo. I have a question. Do any of you brilliant gents and ladies know of any known issues with the the Asus P3V4X mobo? I heard from a friend that some of the Ausus boards at one time had a date stamp issue. The current bios rev is 1005 and the update is in beta stages. Having some issues at work so any info will be appreciated. :)

7. syn

syn long live xp0!

sazar knows his stuff, but generally when something is dramatically different such as a new mobo, do a clean install of your o/s, you'll avoid problems in the long run.

8. syn

syn long live xp0!

skazzy please tell me you don't use ME, it was the biggest flop, microsoft's attempt at getting some more cash from the noobers. they are going to try doing it again before they release longhorn, watch.

9. koko

koko Got Root?

:D

i must remember this important suggestion.

btw, if anyone's interested, i'm planning on buying this combo with the athlon xp 1800 cpu. total is $114!

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

not a bad price. but sdram? that's a 2-year old chipset. unless you're just trying to take the value approach and use your old sdram, i would definitely get a newer chipset that uses ddr. like the KT400 or nforce2 chipsets.

11. dubstar

dubstar format c:

watch when "Longhorn" is the next flop, they'll secrely rename Longhorn to "Windows WWJD."

and to predict and anwer your question, yes im stoney :p

12. koko

koko Got Root?

yeah, i realize it's a sdram mobo. i'm actually trying to replace my current mobo, which is going bad. i already have 1gb of sdram and can't really afford ddr at the moment.