Installing a new nVidia card, uninstall drivers?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Glaanieboy, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I currently have a nVidia Geforce 3 ti200 card, but because this card lacks a composite video tv-out (My TV-set doesn't supprt s-video signals), I am reverting back to a Geforce 2 MX200. Because of the unified driver architecture nVidia uses, can I leave the drivers as they are (Det 52.16), or should I uninstall them, uninstall the card, insert the new card and reinstall it? Or can I just switch cards?

(don't brag about me installing a slower, less powerfull card. I don't play much games on my pc and if I do, the games are over 3 years old)

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

i think its best to first remove the drivers and then reinstall them. and you may consider dropping to an older driver version since it useless to have those drivers for a geforce2...

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

uninstall/reinstall. because when you run the driver pack, it detects what card you have and installs that driver. so with a different card, it will have to be run again so it can detect it.

also, i'm pretty sure your gf3 supports composite out. all you need is a simple little adapter cable.

4. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Not mine. I already contacted Creative (the vendor of the card) and they said the card didn't support composite video out. I would need a adapter cable, but not just a normal rewired cable (that would still use s-video signals), but a complete signal converter (from s-video to composite) and that would be very hard to get in the Netherlands, not to mention the costs. I bought a adapter cable at a local electronics store, but I could get it to work.
    I can remember 2 years ago when I had a Riva TNT2 card it worked, and I was using a composite cable, no adapter cables.

Anyway, thanks guys for the reply.

sboulema: What driver version do you recommend? Something in the 4x.xx series?

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid