Install XP 2 Hard Drives

Bleakboy

OSNN Junior Addict
I think this has been said before, but what is the best why of installing XP,

Use Hard Disk 1 for example a 30gig 7200rpm, drive for XP + Apps,

And use Hard Disk 2 80gig 7200rpm for Games + MP3,

Should this be better for the computer, and also put the Pagefile sys to the Second Hard Disk?

has been discussed many times so do search and you will find more info.

this is my setup:
1 80gb disk
c: XP -> 10gb
d: the rest ->70 gb

My setup is 2 drives
1) 80 gig
2) 40 gig

the 80Gb is in 2 partition, drive C:10Gb and E: 70Gb and the 40Gb is as drive D:

Windows and other apllications go on drive C, games go on drive E, and mo3's, movies and other stuff on drive D. My pagefile is on drive D, and the two harddrives are on seperate channels. (This configuration allows for teh fastest transfer of data between the system, memory, pagefile, and cd/dvd drives.)

Ive foudn that the best setup is to keep all apps and games on a different partition than XP (or HD) as others said. My setup is as followed.....

XP on 30 gig
Apps and games on 100 gig
Other not used apps, games, MP3s, scripts and personal storage on 2 120 gig HD.:D

You could partition those drives for performance. XP will stay running like a fresh install if you setup like this.

WinXP partition for JUST the operating system
Programs partition for all software
MyDocuments partition
Temp Partition for the windows VM swap file and temp directories
Then maybe an MP3s and Movies partition

This will keep the fragmentation of the drives a little better spread out. The actual WindowsXP partition should never be fragmented unless you remove system components - keeping your OS nice and fresh. I have my computer setup like this and it still runs as smooth as the day I installed the OS.

Occasionally Defragging the temp partition (in this setup) helps too.

Cheers for all the reply's

XPerties
what do you use for your 120gig personal storage a external drive unit? I was looking it to getting one of thoose, or I have seen a USB 2.0 to IDE Convertor

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back