Inspiron 8600 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by jcim05, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jcim05

jcim05 OSNN Junior Addict

I have a dell inspiron 8600 and the bios wont allow me to overclock the processor. I have a pentium m, and from what I understand they take the extra juice really well and tend not to overheat. Is there any other way to overclock the processor other than in the bios?

2. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Unless there's an overclocking software that dell provides (which they do not). Then usually... No. So your bios is the only way.
    Plus, I wouldn't advise it.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You don't overclcok laptops. They are not designed to survive it. That's why Dell locks out the bios options.

Actually laptops are designed to intentionally underclock themselves for battery life and thermal survival.

4. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

You just be glad you have a Pentium M... I have the Pentium 4-M 2.2Ghz and it is slower than any computer should ever be. it barely runs Win XP with 512mb RAM, and I mean barely. It has Speedstep technology, which normally makes it run at 645mhz or sometimes 1.5Ghz if you are lucky, but in most cases, it fears an overheat and slows to 645mhz. So basically, my $2,200 laptop is about as worthless as it gets. Centrino "technology" is wonderful.

omg its nlm likes this.
  5. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

Yeah your laptop sucks! :smoker:

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

It's worth noting, you can't overclock a Dell desktop either. BIOS are locked.

7. GEN3RIC

Aint that the truth. Thankfully the one I am getting is at least a 1.8Ghz Pentium M, 1gb RAM, X600 128mb, 80gb HD. D810 is such an improvement over the 8500!

8. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

I will do the testing on it. :nervous:

EDIT
    you mean I get your old one?

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Except for the XPS flagship d'tops. Or at least the last coupla models.

10. GEN3RIC

Ill sell it to you. Why should I give you anything when I originally paid money for it to be mine? Haha.

11. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

If I remember right, there were some dell laptops that had heat problems... You might want to update the bios or talk to dell about how your computer runs slow. Or disable the "Speedstep" feature. Since that is the reason why you're probably running slow for the most part. It's reducing your clockspeed. open up the machine and clean out your heatsink and fan.

Another question: Do you smoke?
    Reason being, is if you smoke, your computers are more likely to slow down because of tar and dust buildup in the heatsink and fan, which causes major problems unless you replace those coated parts.

12. GEN3RIC

If you disable speedstep, it runs at 645mhz permanently ......... Sounds like they simply overclock a P3 :speechless: