Inspiron 8200 screen issues! Please help.

brad96stanggt

OSNN Junior Addict
I have an older Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop (p4 1.7). It has been nothing but great to me until recently. About 3 months ago this would sometime happen:

-I close the lid, and when I open the lid the screen stays black.

It did this maybe once a week, maybe 1 every two weeks, not often enough for me to care.

Now this problem is happening more and more. My screensaver settings, nor power settings have any effect on the problem. The computer still runs fine in the background. The only ways to get the screen to come back without turning off the laptop is:

-remote desktop in from my desktop <----the screen powers back up when the logon screen loads.
-press the power button to go into standby, wait till its stands by, then hit button again to come out of standby. <-----again screen comes back on at the logon screen.

This to me is a software problem since I need not even touch the hardware to fix it. BUUUTTTT I just recently reformatted the harddrive and it still does the problem. The problem is happening more and more now and its starting to get annoying. Any ideas what it could be? or at least how to further troubleshoot it?

I was told it could be the inverter? But I want to be 100% sure so I don't waste $50 on one and still have the problem. Also keep in mind that I don't have one of those little switches that presses down when you push the monitor closed. It seems to be a optical little sensor..... Thanks for any help.

It could be hardware, but it sure sounds like a power management software issue.

Double check the power settings in the Bios, Windows and the screen saver.
If you don't find anything then uninstall and reinstall the display drivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back