inspiron 7000 dvd drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by melty, Mar 6, 2003.

1. melty

melty Guest

I just installed a clean copy of Windows XP on this Inspiron 7000...

There is a toshiba dvd drive, and it has an mpeg 2 decoder card.....

Whenever I put in a DVD disk, the light on the drive stays on, and the computer does not read the dvd.....

What can I do....I NEED to be able to watch DVD's in COLLEGE!!!

Please HELP!!!

melty

2. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

toshiba drives tend to fail alot and some just don't work with XP period. did u have xp on the computer b4 or did u upgrade from something else?

3. melty

melty Guest

Windows 98 was on it before....
    I dont know if the dvd drive was able to read dvd's before I installed XP.......

It just sux, i mean, everything seems alright, and it just cannot read a dvd movie....It reads CD's fine.....

I installed PowerDVD xp 4.0, and i know that has a software decoder, so its not the decoder....its just the drive....is there any firmware or new drivers for this dvd rom drive...

its a toshiba SD-C2102

melty

4. Kush

Kush High On Life!

aspi

aspi any one? haha i think u need to install the aspi layers do a search for "aspi4all'' that should do the job i think since u formatted so i bet thats whats going wrong:happy:

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

6. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

look here for a region free firmware

It might help you.

Perform the firmware upgrade or alteration at your own risk, there is a possiblity of it rendering your drive un-useable.

7. Geffy

8. melty

melty Guest

Re: aspi

DUDE, your absolutely right...

Before I read your comment, i tried looking for an ASPI driver, and I tried to install one, which went through DOS.....when it got the the dos, it said "click any key to continue", so thats what I did...

then, it disappeared.....

I popped in a DVD, the drive actually read it, but the icon for the movie was not the normal dvd video icon....

I played it in power DVD, and it worked fine......

then, heres the kicker......took out that DVD, put in another one, and now I have the same frikkin problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I'm gonna do what u said, and see what happens....

thanks

melty

9. melty

melty Guest

How can you tell what firmware the drive has...???

melty

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

use the firmware utilities

take a look at this program download it and it should tell u all u need:happy:

11. Kush

Kush High On Life!

btw there is a download on the same page for aspi version 4.60 whcih is the current one i think its right under that one
    and i reccomend this website for firmwares
    firmware-flash :happy: happy flashing

12. melty

melty Guest

I just installed the Aspi4all......

it STILL does nOt read the DVD.....

what else is there????????

Should I re Install WIN XP, and then, just the ASPI4ALL???????

Because, I may have moved some wrong aspi files into the system32 folder....ands its probably a big mess.......

HELP!!!!

melty

13. Kush

Kush High On Life!

:(

i guess if u want i dont really know:(

14. melty

melty Guest

so you were saying before, that since I had a clean install, this ASPI stuff is NOT included with Windows XP...

Thats So weird, its such an important thing to have..........

I am gonna make a new clean install of XP, and i will install the aspi4all.....and see what happens

Theres nothing valuble on this laptop, so I dont mind.....but i hope this works........

the reason why i feel that I should do this, is because I have been downloading stuff all day, and there is probably all the wrong system files and garbage all over the PC......

melty

15. Kush

Kush High On Life!

restart

btw did u restart? u have to restart before the settings take effect so install it one more time and restart that should do it

16. melty

melty Guest

yeah, i did restart...lol

melty'
    thanks for yer help anywayz

17. Geffy

MS didnt leave it out, its just not really needed for XP compatible software, it has a different method. I dont have ASPI installed on my PC, and I have no problems. Look at the Dell Tech support thing about upgrading to XP, see what they say.