Inporting from Outlook

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by stealer, Mar 10, 2002.

1. stealer

stealer Guest

Hi All,

I have a problem that I am having trouble with. Hopefully it won't be to hard for some of you XP pros. Ok here goes..
    I just installed xp onto a new hard drive. I made my old hard drive the slave hoping to transfer the data over to the new drive. I want to transfer over to my new drive all my address and old mail. I can not seem to be able to find where that info is stored on my old hard drive. I figure it has to be in the following directory.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office

But I don't know where to go from there.

I would be grateful for any help.
  2. gajef

gajef OSNN Addict

This info is stored in a *.pst file, and normally it is stored in the users profile directory
    (e.g. "C:\Documents and Settings\gajef\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst")

So what you can do is a search for *.pst in your old hdd and it should come up with at least 1
    Copy that one (or all of them) to your new drive and open it (dubbelclick won't work: you have to go into outlook and then choose 'File/Open/Data file' or 'File/Open/Personal Folder File' (depending if you're using office xp/office 2000)

Hope this helps

3. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

or you can open outlook on the old drive, use the import/export option, export to any of the listed typed, then use import on the new drive :)