Inactive windows

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DanC, Dec 7, 2005.

1. DanC

DanC OSNN One Post Wonder

Hello all,

This is my first post here.

I was hoping I could get some help with an annoying problem I'm having; Every one to five minutes my active window (I think it happens in all my applications) suddenly becomes inactive which requires me to click on the screen to make it active again.

I have XP and regularly run my Earthlink spyware blocker, and Norton antivirus scans.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I would think when this happens, something else tries to run in the background (perhaps virus or spyware related), which tries to take over the active window.

I would try doing a Spyware Scan, as Norton doesn't typically catch spyware. I favor MS Antispyware, which is a free download from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

NetRyder likes this.
  3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Yep, it sounds like something else is running regularly and taking over the focus... even if you can't see it. Can you take a screenshot of your Task Manager and post it here?

4. DanC

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

5. kcnychief

Post back when you do, we are here to help :)

6. DanC

I must be doing something wrong as when I try to attach the file I get "error on page"

7. DanC

Here we go........persistence pays off..........I hope

Attached Files:

8. kcnychief

I can't read that, can you re-post with a better resolution?

EDIT: Try doing an ALT + Print Screen (takes active window only). This should put a better focus on your task manager.

9. DanC

Hopefully this is better........

Attached Files:

10. DanC

Don't know why its a thumbnail, but if you click on it then make it regular size it is quite clear.

11. muzikool

I can read it just fine. I'll look into some of those processes and get back.

12. muzikool

Well I don't see anything threatening in your running processes, which is good, but that makes it a bit more difficult to identify the issue.

My suggestion is to run msconfig (start -> run - > msconfig) and to uncheck every startup process that is not necessary. Reboot and see if anything takes the focus off your active window. You'll probably know how much time to give it before you'd expect something to happen. If nothing happens during that time then you've probably disabled the process that causes it.

You can go back into msconfig and enable each process one-by-one, rebooting after enabling each one and taking time to check if the process causes the problem. It's a pretty lengthy troubleshooting process, but I guess it would be worth it to you. This is what I've got for now, maybe someone else has a better solution?

13. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

keep the task manager open on processes. Sort it by cpu. See if theres an application that pops to the top when it loses focus.

14. muzikool

That's also a good suggestion, leedogg. I thought of it earlier but for some reason didn't mention it.

15. DanC

Thanks people,

I think I got it..........I took kcnychief's advice and downloaded Ms spyware Beta program. I already have Earthlink's spyware utility, but this is obviously more thorough and it appears it was a nasty little piece of spyware called "NewDotNet Browser Plug In" as it took two removals to get rid of it.

So far........no problems.

Thanks again all.

Dan

16. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Wicked. Good job boys !

17. kcnychief

Glad you got it sorted out :)

From what I have seen, and I'm going to state my opinion here, MS Antispyware is the best and here is why:

First and foremost, it's free. I know that isn't a big deal to some, but the difference between say this and something like Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (another popular one), is that MS provides real time protection to your system, web browser, host files, etc.

Also, and the most impressive yet, is that it can remove real-time threats. Again, other programs give you the issue that they need to re-scan on reboot, or run in safe mode, but MS Anti-Spyware has the ability (if you let it) to kill the process, and remove it in real time.

Simply fantastic, #1 spyware program in my eyes, and will only get better. I think it's a great idea that Microsoft is putting it in Vista as part of the new security center.

Anyways, enough of my fanboy gushing, glad your PC is on the road to recovery :)

18. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

You are in great shape if you use it, as well as Adaware, spybot.

19. kcnychief

bah, again, IMO, that is a complete solution :)

Well, that in combination with quality AV, Windows Updates, and not being a moron ;)