Importing Win98 OE inbox

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

I would like to import the inbox contents of a Win98 machine to a new WinXPHome OE machine.

The Win98 machine does not have a cdburner, and I cannot config my flash key to work on it, it will not show up. So I am thinking maybe crossover cable and, as a last resort, slave the HD to the new machine.

I would like to know where the inbox contents are located on the HD (in case I need to slave the drive), and if possible how to config the two network cards for the crossover cable to work. If the crossover cable setup works, I will use the import feature in the XPHomeOE and see if that works.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Heeter my brother,

In regards to OE data, this should give you all the info you need...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670

And in regards to crossover, no hardware configuration changes should be necessary, pending the cards are auto-sensing.

Could you plug the 98 box into the network, and share the resources?

3. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

D, My brother,

This is a client's machine at her house that is being replaced by the XPHome machine. It is not at my place. It's a stand alone machine.

Thanks for the links, Bud.

Heeter

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Gotcha.

Crossover cable would be easiest, but have you checked your vendor to see if a driver is available for your jump drive? Or is that not your problem?

This may sound silly, but if you end up slaving, be sure to verify jumpers. I have made that mistake more than once and beat my head into a wall before I figured it out :s

Best of luck!