Images are saved as bmp in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by destinywaste, Mar 13, 2003.

1. destinywaste

destinywaste Guest

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could throw some light for me on this --

At times when I try to save a photo from the web on my comp it's saved in bmp format by default. Is there a way I it could be set to jpg? I don't want to run through paintshop programs to convert the images into jpg.

Thanks

2. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Try cleaning out ( emptying) your temporary internet files folder.

4. destinywaste

destinywaste Guest

It didn't help :(

The 'save as' option doesn't have a drop down menu.. nothing to chose from apart from bitmap :mad:

5. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I have this same thing happen from time to time, unfortunately I don't have any explanation for why it happens. I usually just end up using Paint or Photoshop to save the pic as a jpeg. It's not that much of a hassle, unless there are a bunch of pics you want to save that are coming in as bitmaps.

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If there is no fix for what is going on there are freeware mass converters around. One click & it is all done.

7. Jim

Jim Guest

One more thing to check is the Advanced tab of Tools | Options where "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" may be checked. If so, try un-checking it

8. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

Irfanview is a nice FREE picture viewing program that has a batch conversion tool in it. Best of all, Irfanview is small and fast, install is less than a meg without plugins. :cool: (If you can't tell, I really like Irfanview.)