Image Software

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omg its nlm, Oct 9, 2006.

1. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

Image Software
    I build a few laptops a day. I just put XP SP2 Driver updates and Office 2K3 on it. What would be the best software out there to send an Image to it. I know about Ghost but it looks like I need a license per PC so that could get spendy. Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Nate

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I would like to put my .02 in behind Ghost, and Acronis products. They are both very high quality.

Obviously cost is something to keep in mind, but you get what you pay for.

Thread Moved

3. omg its nlm

Yeah I was thinking about the Acronis products. I will have to take a look at them more.

Thanks

4. kcnychief

In a nutshell, the biggest differences is that Acronis lets you do a full backup from within Windows. It has the ability to unlock files as needed so the machine doesn't actually have to come down (get rebooted) to make a full backup.

Not really applicable to a workstation, but I also like the feature of being able to run the system off a CD while doing a restore. I have used this for servers before whereas critical services such as ADUC, DHCP, DNS etc - can all still run from an image-based CD while the actual machine itself is still being restored.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I've used Acronis TrueImage in the past, and it works well.

Planning to try out DriveImage XML as a free alternative soon.
    http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

6. omg its nlm

Wow Acronis gets spendy. Ghost is a lot cheeper.

7. omg its nlm

Any one else?

Thanks

8. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

not to hijack this post, but is there a way to make a drive image of linux from within linux and then port it somehow to work with vmware on a pc?

9. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Hard to take an image from a live running system (files in use and all that jazz). Far easier to boot off a boot disk and take an image and pull that image into VMware using ghost or TrueImage.

You could boot the source machine off a linux live distro (Knoppix, etc). and run a dd image of the source comp. then boot the VM Guest off the live CD and import the dd image into the VM. May have to deal with the hardware change issues.

I think Ghost and TrueImage are probably the most popular/useable drive imaging products. It used to be ghost and PowerQuest's Drive Image, but then Symantec bought Drive Image.

There are some smaller drive cloning/imaging products.. but I have never used them.

Drive Image (for windows or linux)
    DriveImageXML
    R-Drive Image

There are other options out there. But again, I have never used them as Ghost and/or TrueImage are really considered the "class" of the drive imaging field.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  10. kcnychief

Possible for Windows, but I haven't seen a Linux compatible version yet - check this out from VMWare

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/converter/

11. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

it looks like just the thing, but it doesn't seem to support linux conversions.