I'm a Noob and want to format and install - Help!

albacorebob

OSNN Newbie
:confused: I've searched and read many of the threads but still want to pose my issue.

I have a Compaq running XP Home with the factory install. Over the 3 1/2 years I've used it - I've played with shareware, freeware, added/removed, cleaned up/defragged yada yada yada....

I have a 1.33 AMD XP with 512 DDR SDRAM and 2 40 gb hard dives. My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce2 MX. My machine is not running and booting like it used to and I'm considering formatting the C:\ and doing an install from the Compaq recovery disks, hoping to leave a lot of the bloat out.

I use the 2nd hard drive for storage of docs, pics and music; as well as to hold the "My Documents" folders for my family's accounts. I will have to copy the IE favs and move them to the 2nd drive as well. E-mail is also stored on drive #2.

I plan on just using the recovery disks included from Compaq to install the system. Should I look into partitioning the C:\ to help make this easier in the future?

Any pitfalls to look out for? I've never wiped out a system before and worry about getting back set up.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

without have to post a lengthy help goto black vipers help page
it shoul help you with all your questions and needs...

black viper

Lee said:
what is a ''noob''?

A person online who is new and/or unfamiliar with the environment :rolleyes:

Albacore, with my experience of factory recovery CD's, there isn't a way to leave the bloat out of the install. Also, you don't have to worry about formatting because they usually do everything for you, except for switching the CD's of course. not 100% sure, but that's the way my Sony recovery CD's worked, as well as my Compaq Laptop's recovery cd's.

When i got this retail computer it had a recovery disk, it also was installe don a partition, *h (drive) so all you did was boot from disk and it would bring up powerquest
drive image, it would ask you to type in YES if you wanted it to return to factory settings.

I didn't like this so I did fdisk to get rid and reinstalled everything from xp install disk. I asked for a full version also just incase I needed to reinstall xp.

Did you ask the supplier for a full version too?

Lee said:
I didn't like this so I did fdisk to get rid and reinstalled everything from xp install disk. I asked for a full version also just incase I needed to reinstall xp.

Did you ask the supplier for a full version too?

I'll ask them. That's better than loading all the extra junk I don't use.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back