IIS and Guest Account

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by Admiral Michael, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Hey Guys,

I have a Windows 2003 Standard server box that has IIS for about 5 sites and also acts as a local file server.

Now I have a collection of downloads and such, that I would like to have available thru a virtual directory on IIS so I can access them when I'm not home.

This is not the problem, the problem is that since I have a network share with anonymous read access setup this has messed up my wish to put a password on the virtual directory. Since the NTFS permissions have Guest as a read account, IIS will allow any credentials (doesnt matter if the user exists or not) and let em in.

I was wondering if there was a way to password the virtual directory and still keep anonymous read access on the share, since removing the guest account from the NTFS permissions disables the anonymous access on the LAN side.

I hope I explained it well enough.
    Mike

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Why not create a new account on the PC and give that account permissions? Then it would just prompt for credentials when anonymous/guest access doesn't work.

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

4. Admiral Michael

Just an update, I decided to go with EP and KC's suggestion. I just have a login that I use when a LAN user needs access. My LAN computers have there usernames added to the server so they don't need to enter credentials.

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Glad to see you got it working :)

6. Admiral Michael

Well its not entirely the way I want it but close enough.