If you get vista, when will you get it?

when will you get vista?

• Total voters
NR or anyone else: How do you disble the welcome screen for Vista? I want to use the basic CTRL+ALT+DEL and user/password login screen like 2000 and XP.

I've seen screenshots (I'm certain anyway) but cannot find this tweak when I search for it.
Are you sure it wasn't Longhorn Server that you saw?

According to a post by a Lead Program Manager on the Windows Shell team, the classic logon dialog is no longer available in Vista. Makes sense, because Vista no longer uses MSGINA.

The closest you can get to classic logon, as far as I know, is a version of the Welcome screen that displays the Ctrl+Alt+Del prompt and then asks you to enter a username and password rather than displaying user tiles. Instructions for that are available here.

Apart from the DX10 support, which is tempting, I'm likely to wait for a new machine before I get this, as then I'll get things like a 64 bit processor and a new gen (not next, too expensive) card as well as a better soundcard and support for over 2GB memory in my rig.

NR, I thought it was Vista Business. I may be wrong and it may have been "Longhorn" Server. I already figured out how to turn on the CTRL+ALT+DEL but I still dislike the welcome screen.

Thanks anyway.

vista boxes are gonna start with two gigs on the lowest end of the market most will be shipped with 4 gigs after just a few months on the shelves

everyone thinking about vista should be getting 4 gigs right from the start for the few extra bucks it's gonn cost

I just bought the cheapest laptop I could find and it's got dual 64 bit and 2 gigs memory, it doesn't support 4 gigs otherwise that would be in there right now

the same as xp started with 256, my first xp laptop couldn't hold 512 and right now I don't know anyone with less then a gig of memory unless their on a very old box that won't take more

vista is a work in progress even though it's being released it's pretty underdeveloped

if you want to use all the interface that's going to make it a unique os, the new file system when it's available, if you want to be part of the evolution process you're gonna be getting way over 4 gigs before your done with your vista box and this is a fact

motherboards right now aren't gonna support too much memory, but that's gonna change fast

if you're installing vista you're cutting edge, you'll have 6 to ten gigs memory in no time

unless you're stuck with the 32 bit version of the os, then it won't matter how much memory you have it will only see 4 gigs per processor

do yourself a favor, if your getting a new box, get a 64 bit dual core , if you can find one with a motherboard that supports more then 4 gigs, get that one.

memory is going to be a big issue as this os evolves and I don't think anyone should be stickling with a 32 bit processor or the 32 bit os when considering vista

I'm running 512 meg of ram on my PC and vista was running great on it. I was quite impressed with how good it ran ..

Johnny, what were your scores with only 512MB of RAM?

you should watch the CES video displaying Yahoo Messenger for Vista. it's B-E-A-UUUUTIFUL!

It is the best looking application I have ever seen. And very functional too.

Well I've been running Vista Ultimate from a torrent while I wait for my OEM copy to arrive in the post and once I realised the nvidia drivers had a bug in the installer and I needed to refetch them its all been fine.

I also sprang for a corsair 1gb turboflash readyboost drive. WHile it does make a noticable difference for me, I'm not sure its giving me as much of a boost as it would if I was only on 512mb or 1gb.

My X-Fi works fine. The games and applications I use work fine though I've not installed everyting yet incase need to reformat when my legitimate copy arrives in the post I have the stuff I use most installed.

My primary concern was whether or not Neverwinter Nights 2 would work - and to my suprise its faster on Vista than XP :) The only issue is that creative don't have eax implemented in the current drivers.

It has for me been a worthwhile upgrade.

For those interested my windows performance scores are as follows (5.9 is the highest you can get at the moment)

Processor: 5.5 (Core 2 Duo E6700)
Ram: 5.4 (2GB OCZ PC26400)
Graphics (Aero): 5.9 (Geforce 7800GTX OC)
Graphics (Gaming): 5.8)
Primary hard disk: 5.4 (Hitachi T7k250 250GB)

uuh... Lord..... kinda WAAAY off topic.... but i believe Lewis Black said what is in your signature.....

edit: think it was either Lewis Black, or George Carlin.... but i'm pretty sure i've heard a stand-up comedian say something like that.

well if you find out who did say it I'll pop a credit in their :) I saw it as a simpsons quote though :p

i'm actually quite fond of this one:

Leela: [to Fry] Well at least here you'll be treated with dignity. Now strip naked and get on the probulator.

when its fully cracked...HA HA Ha...Jk..dont ban me...Ill end up buying a new pc with vista already on it, im fine with my xp...and want to wait for all the right drivers and bugs to get removed...

I've not seen any genuine activation patches. I'm just taking advantage of the fact that my bought copy should arrive before this copy says "activate or no play ball"

Got my 5th copy now :eek:
Looks like I might have to hook Jewelzz up!

So here is a tough question, what is your favourite thing/feature/change in Windows Vista?

Been asking myself this for days

5th copy..why so many? Oh and you spelled my user name wrong, its not J E W E L L Z, it F A I L U R B Y D E S I G N.....:)

So here is a tough question, what is your favourite thing/feature/change in Windows Vista?

Been asking myself this for days

Hmm, that is a tough one. I do know its made my PC with XP feel as dextrous as a house brick. THe whole system just responds when I tell it to, not a few seconds later.

The new control panel groups tings in a way that makes sense, whereas on XP I'd switch to classic mode as I could never find anything otherwise.

The breadcrumb bar in IE's download destination box is amazingly useful.

The UI is just plain smooth sailing. I must have spent 4 or 5 hours just playing with the tint option :)

I don't think there is any one thing that makes vista worth it to me. More a culmination of a number of features. I dare say that as I gain more experiance with vista that number of features will increase.

Hmm, that is a tough one. I do know its made my PC with XP feel as dextrous as a house brick. THe whole system just responds when I tell it to, not a few seconds later.

The new control panel groups tings in a way that makes sense, whereas on XP I'd switch to classic mode as I could never find anything otherwise.

The breadcrumb bar in IE's download destination box is amazingly useful.

The UI is just plain smooth sailing. I must have spent 4 or 5 hours just playing with the tint option :)

I don't think there is any one thing that makes vista worth it to me. More a culmination of a number of features. I dare say that as I gain more experiance with vista that number of features will increase.

Well said, see this is what motivates me to want to upgrade and not wait for a while...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back