IE6 denying access to Intenet Options

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
huh?

I went to use the Internet Options in the Tools tab and got the following message:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system adminisatrator.

Which is very odd seeing as I'm the only account on my PC and I'm the system admin...

I can access IE tools through the control panel but the GUI to set the homepage cannot be modified.

This is very puzzling and I have absol. no idea how it happened.

Help to rectify this is greatly apprecieated.

Mubbers

Are you using XP pro? If so check the settings in Group Policy Editor under User configuration > Administrative templates > Windows components > Internet Explorer

especially "Disable changing home page setting" and "Browser menus" > "Tools menu: Disable Internet Options..menu option"

yes I'm using XP Pro!

However being strictly amature I've forgotten how to get at the Group Polilcy Editor!

Mubbers

Thanks YoYo. Did all the stuff above - no joy :(

In any case all the policies had not been configured but I set them in the positive.

I recall a problem I had regarding being able to "view source" of a web page. This was rectified by overwriting my existing favorites and desktop folders with ones from new admin account.

Could this help?

Mubbers

Success!!!

I'd been hijacked :( in reading through the "Taken Hostage" thread I D/L hijack this and ran it...

Info popped up regarding restrictions placed on my PC and that it could be hijackers etc... anyway I deleted the two offending keys and problem solved!

Thanks

Mubbers

Have you ever used browser hijack blaster?

Browser Hijack Blaster protects your system from browser hijackers and spyware that alters your Internet Explorer settings.

It watches and protects the following items:
IE Homepage, IE Default Page, IE Search Page, BHOs

-->browser hijack blaster<--

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back