IE vs Firefox...

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
Why would IE be loading websites extremely slow or not at all when firefox pulls them up quickly. Both are on the same machine. Using a wireless network.

Compaq Presario 2100 (AMD)
Broadcom 54g wireless
Linksys 54G router with Mac address filtering
It's a fresh install of Windows, SP2 was installed seperately because I couldn't update it through windows update because of the wireless issues.

Any solutions?

Did you try to clean your temp internet files and such out ?? Get crap cleaner, run it, then try it again. If that don't work, then it could be the settings.

Do you have any antivirus installed or maybe a toolbar in IE that might be checking the page before it loads?

I had nothing for Antivirus, and it was a fresh install of windows. Now I've installed Nod32

Do you use an ISP assigned DNS or do you use your own?

heh.. i get the opposite actually. FF loads pages roughly 5 secs slower that on IE for me, though once it has loaded a few pages the rest of them usually loads up as normal.

the thread title is misleading BTW... will suck in the fanboys...

BUT to your problem - is this IE7? I am guessing not...

One thing to try - Opera, how does that do?

Generally though - check all your options and settings, espeically cache wise - that is my prime suspect. And which have you set as default BTW?

[edit]is this why :p[/edit]

Last edited:
I have FF set as the default. And it's not a matter of seconds. It's a matter of minutes or not connecting to sites at all. I have to load sites over and over again for it to be able to finally pull a page up. After that I'm **** outta luck for going further.

I experience this problem too sometimes but its the other way round. Sometimes even Opera gets laggy.

I moved this thread to Windows Applications as it really has nothing to do with security.

I think a Hijackthis log may be a good next step, as well as flushing out all temp/cache files, and resetting web settings. Those are all specific to IE and obviously wouldn't effect FF or Opera.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back