IE vs. Firefox: The Movie (Sort of)

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political Access
http://www.rocketboom.com/vlog/archives/2005/12/rb_05_dec_02.html

Now you can put a face on the battle between Firefox and Internet Explorer. Sort of. Rocketboom went out into New York's Washington Square Park on a cold autumn day, and stopped random people, ranging from college students to parents to retirees, and asked them which browser they preferred. Most Firefox fans were able to cite specific things they liked about the browser, but those who used Explorer, for the most part, fell back on the "it's all I know" argument, presenting what could be a huge marketing opportunity for Firefox. It's utterly unscientific, but still fascinating.

Is it just me or were there some really weird peope in that video? :laugh:

Yeah, watched this the other day. Amanda's giggling in response to that one guy's "because it's a fox on fire" comment was the best part. :D

Haha...I like your thread title, btw.

Edit: Just noticed you picked up the title/post from Download Squad. :p

YEAH OMG I WAS JUST GANNA SAY THAT about the indian that said a fox thats on fire, i died, that was too funny, i just emailed it to my friend and told them to watch for that part. Lol great post man i really enjoyed that video, i didnt think that many people that didnt know much about computers knew about firefox though, i just thought the ones with computer geeks like us

themafia.69 said:
i didnt think that many people that didnt know much about computers knew about firefox though, i just thought the ones with computer geeks like us
Well, as the quote in the first posts suggests, it was entirely unscientific. Since it's not a live video stream, it's easy to skew the results. If you asked 100 people the question, and 50 of them didn't know what Firefox was, you could only include the 50 that did know what it was and ask them for their preference.

Not that there's anything wrong with that - the purpose of the video wasn't really to see gauge awareness (notice that there were hardly any people in the video who asked what Firefox is, if any at all), but to get a general idea about which one of the two each person preferred.

Besides, a large fraction of the people in the video were students and people from academia - that segment of the population is much more inclined to try out alternatives than the larger general public. If you sampled a different segment of the population, you'd get very different results. The awareness is definitely spreading though. :)

I was impressed when my now-father-in-law told me he had switched to Firefox. I had never mentioned it to him before, he learned of it on his own and decided it was worthwhile to switch. :)

nice :) ,,,on a simple side note, Amanda not too bad:lick: *runs*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back