IE Tab Firefox Extension

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Admiral Michael, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I came across this awesome Firefox extension. It uses the IE engine inside Firefox so you can browse (even update windows) with Firefox. It also has the ability to automatically use the IE engine when you visit a certain site (like Windows Update). It’s totally configurable and works like a charm.

Just thought I’d share it with you.

You need to map the button by right clicking on the toolbar and select Customize, then look for IE Tab and simply drag it to where you want it on your toolbar.

To add sites to the list, look at the bottom right corner of your screen, there is should either be the Firefox icon or the IE icon (shows the current engine). Right click on this icon and add your site. If you want, under General Settings you can check “Tools Menu Icon” to add an options entry under Firefox’s Tools menu.

Enjoy!

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=1419

Perris Calderon likes this.
  2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

wow, that's one usefull extentsion

nice find

3. fantasi

fantasi My Yngy is My HoneY! Folding Team

ya have been using this for quite sometime now. even more reason not to fireup ie i suppose. plus it helps with windows update :D

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I actually read about this in the Spring 2006 special guide of Maximum PC, seems like a nice extension :)

5. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Been using it for months, wonderful extension :)

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

what are the advantages over just opening it in ie? i mean its using ie's engine

7. Grandmaster

You don't have to open up IE. More of a convenience thing.

8. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I been using this for a while now. I didn't know they updated it, thanx for the info ..

9. Admiral Michael

more or less. I hate having to switch to IE for certain sites, now its a click of a button, no copying URLs and it can be set to auto switch to IE on user defined sites.

10. Grandmaster

Yep, this is why I use it.

11. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ok cool thats what i thought

12. Admiral Michael

13. bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD OSNN Junior Addict

I've tried this the time I used Firefox for a short while on here, but then I ended up going back to IE, I couldn't get used to firefox, plus browsing seemed slow to me, even though I have 1gb of ram, and AMD Sempron 2600+ 64bit Processor, yet it still seemed slow. I guess I'm gonna be sitting to Internet Explorer itself, unless someone can point out reasons to use Firefox.

14. Grandmaster

Security, tabs, and extensions.

15. bikemanAMD

Well I may give Firefox another shot possibly...I know the first time I tried it, didn't like it at all, but maybe I'll give it a longer try this time, 30 days before I possibly remove it or keep it in.

It's been a hectic few months with this PC, why I haven't posted in so long, prior to January-From August to December this PC was crashing constantly, rebooting, slow, turns out it was a boot sector virus, and a virus in cmos bios of old motherboard, and ram slots went, now I'm hoping this current motherboard, and CPU and bios doesn't have any problems ever.

16. Grandmaster

Yikes. Well at least you're better off now :)

17. Admiral Michael

I didnt like Firefox at first either but I was sick of spyware/adaware so I switched. It was for the best.

18. bikemanAMD

Well this time I"m gonna give Firefox a long try, and make sure PC stays running good that's for sure, I don't want the problems like I had before, couldn't even game, or do anything.

19. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team