IE opens even when Maxthon is the default browser

Digdis

OSNN Addict
Political Access
Hey folks,
Got this problem on my work PC: Defined Maxthon as my default browser (and it is, as typing an http address from the start->Run box opens it), but when I open web links from some of the apps (Notes, Copernic Agent), IE pops up instead. OS is Win2K. Any ideas?
D.

the obvious first - you did go into "Add or Remove programs" for the "Set Program Access and Defaults" and have it set as your default there? Check it and post back anyway - sometimes things get reset (I know mine do, even though Firefox and T-bird set here)

It is set there as my default - Maxthon did it for me, but I double checked there and the default web browser is setup to "my current web browser".
D.

Thanx NetRyder - still doesn't work. Meaning that the SetBrowser test does open Maxthon, but the other insubordinate apps I've mentioned still open IE. I don't think opening IE is hard coded in these apps, as I have the same Copernic version installed on my home PC (which has WinXP, unlike my work PC having Win2K), and Maxthon is activated there when clicking links.
D.

Tell the other programs, probably in its options, to use maxthon not IE.

Thanks HD. Figured it out in Copernic - the web browser is set to the default (which is Maxthon), but it still opens IE. Only thing that worked there was setting the browser path directly to the Maxthon exe. Couldn't find any similar option in Notes. Oh well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad...
D.

Check Internet Explorer:
IE tools>Internet options>programs
Make sure that "IE should check to see if default browser" is unchecked.

Jozhik - Setting IE to not check if it's the default browser on startup doesn't help. Don't think it has anything to do with it.

too bad... :dead: I may try to install this Maxthon at home to see what happens - cannot do it @ work, might cause problems I wish to avoid :laugh: Firewall and such, ya know :yowch:

Jozhik said:
too bad... :dead: I may try to install this Maxthon at home to see what happens - cannot do it @ work, might cause problems I wish to avoid :laugh: Firewall and such, ya know :yowch:
:suprised: What's Maxthon have to do with firewalls? Core is IE, only difference is the shell.

Digdis said:
:suprised: What's Maxthon have to do with firewalls? Core is IE, only difference is the shell.
Just that the firewall might block some things needed for Maxthon - I work at an international banking and insurance company, so security is strict. can't even ping or trace:dead:

Jozhik said:
Just that the firewall might block some things needed for Maxthon - I work at an international banking and insurance company, so security is strict. can't even ping or trace:dead:
Pity. :(

Digdis said:
yup - anyways, I installed it @ home, and it seems to work nicely - better than most I've seen, it doesn't clutter the screen so much, yet still gives more info - so far it seems to do exactly what it should, except in Outlook links are opened with IE - but that's one of the things that have to be configured in Outlook, I'll get around to that some day :laugh: :laugh:

As for the problems you're still having, maybe you can give a specific example so I can re-create it @ home. Ya know, step by step dummy description :lick: :yowch:

Thanks. Only problem left here is with the Lotus Notes: A ****ty mail software used here at my work. I really doubt if you (or anyone sane) have it at home.

D.

Digdis said:
Thanks. Only problem left here is with the Lotus Notes: A ****ty mail software used here at my work. I really doubt if you (or anyone sane) have it at home.

D.
I actually used to have a CD from my old job - threw it away, cause there was no way to install it properly on XP - was a very old version - but we still uses Notes for documentation @ work, so maybe I can find something... ya never know until ya try... :yowch:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back