ICS question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Magus255, May 30, 2002.

1. Magus255

Magus255 Guest

I have xp's ICS up and running just fine but i can only connect from 1 computer and have the other 3 on the network use that connection. Is it possible to set it up so that any 1 of the computers can connect and all the rest will just use whatever connection happens to already be there and if so how would I go about doing this?

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

You have dial up?
    Cable?
    or DSL?

3. mbunny

mbunny Guest

How ICS works is that the designated computer is designated the Internet Gateway. Usually this comp is given the IP 192.164.0.1 (i think...)

newayz... the other comps than ask this comp if theres a connection... they are clients and the gateway is the server...

a computer can't both be a gateway and a client as there would be a IP conflict.

Just make one computer be the gateway and let XP pro connect whenever someone needs the net.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Do you mean that all the computers have a modem each? In that case forget it. Use only one connection.

mbunny: It's 192.168.0.1 actually (192.168.x.x is a private range for LAN:s and such).

5. insaNity

insaNity Guest

It could be done, but not with MS ICS, which insists on the server being 192.168.0.1

But instead of looking for alternative sharing systems, tell me your reason for actually wanting to do this?

You are probably much better off having a dedicated machine as server (or buy a hardware router or check if your modem has routing capabilities) All the users can throw in and it would not cost much. (maybe if someone doesnt reboot often you could get away with an always-on workstation as designated server).
    XP can also let users control the connection on the server if need be.