"Icon" is locked - Mac problem.

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by inaminit, Feb 19, 2005.

1. inaminit

inaminit Guest

I just got a new iMac G5 a couple of days ago. I like it a lot. Yesterday I put an old copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 on it and today I downloaded the demo of Elements 3.0. Prior to installing the new demo, I put the folder containing 2.0 in the trash. The problem is, now I can't empty the trash, everytime I try I get the following message,

The operation cannot be completed because the item "Icon" is locked.

When I looked in the trash folder there was the Adobe folder, which contained only a folder named Plug_Ins. I can't get rid of this thing and in the process of trying I was moving things around and somehow ended up with two of these things in my trash, neither one of which will go away. Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of this thing? I gotta tell you, I'm not above reformating a hard drive if it comes to it.

Thanks for any help with this.

2. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Im pretty sure there is a key that will force empty the trash, i think its apple+z then empty, im not sure if thats it or not, I havent used that feature since OS 7

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Click finder then "Secure Empty Trash". That should do it.

4. inaminit

inaminit Guest

zeke_mo, SPeedY_B, thanks for your help, but neither one of those did the trick.

5. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

reboot the iMac then try a secure empty, i had this problem a couple of times when i had my iBook and the reboot always worked. So its worth a try :)

6. inaminit

inaminit Guest

Thanks, thekore, but I've rebooted and shutdown several times and am still getting the same problem.

7. inaminit

inaminit Guest

zeke_mo, thats the option key, somebody over at macosxhints told me to hold down the option key and empty the trash. That did the trick.