Icon changing program

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Stu, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Stu

Stu OSNN Junior Addict

Hi everyone :)

I'm trying to change some icons (desktop, start menu, my computer, etc) and want a decent program for doing so. I've got one called Iphile (a freebie one) but it doesn't always make the icons stick. Sometimes they will revert to the default XP ones :(

What I would like is some advice on which programs are the best to use, preferably free ones but please list any paid ones that you use and are happy with :)

If it helps, I'm using Windows XP Home with Service Pack 1 installed.

Thanks a lot :)

2. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Thread moved
    ~PsuedoKiller

3. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Well you could always edit the shell32.dll, but if u get lazy like me. I'm using IconWorkshop! I'll find the link later, I'm at school right now!

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Here ya go...
    http://www.axialis.com/axicons/ :)

I personally use the shell32.dll replacement method. You can either find pre-modded ones based on icon sets like Snow E2 etc, or you can fire up Resource Hacker and create your own sets.

5. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

And if you don't know how to edit your shell32.dll, be a bit patient, I'll have a tutorial up soon :)

6. Stu

Stu OSNN Junior Addict

PsuedoKiller, apologies for posting in the wrong board :)

I've downloaded IconWorkshop and as far as I can see, it's only for creating icons :( What I really need is a program that just let's me change, for example, the Control Panel icon from the standard XP one to one from a set I've downloaded. Not sure if Icon Workshop does this but I can't see it if it does :rolleyes:

I'm interested in this hacking of shell32.dll though. Will it allow me to do what I want?

Thanks again :)

7. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

It's not hacking, only creativelly manipulating! Yes it should allow you to, shell32.dll is where all of the default windows icons are stored.

8. Stu

Stu OSNN Junior Addict

Thanks for that rushm001 :) Are there any tutorials on how to hack the shell32.dll file other than the one o_87 is planning on doing? :)

9. chris

chris Free to Fly

10. Stu

Stu OSNN Junior Addict

I'm not sure whether it's a problem with Iphile or a problem with the icon cache but the icons seem not to be staying as I put them. It may have something to do with the fact that I installed a program yesterday (can't for the life of me think what it was) that changed icons and I set everything to be Windows Defaults then used Iphile to change the default icons to the customised ones I wanted.

Is there any way I can sort this out?

11. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

12. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

I believe it was possible under earlier versions of windows to get a screen grab of the icon you wanted and then use windows paint to edit it. May well still be possible under windows XP.

13. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Icon Workshop is good for other things. I accually ment to put Icon Packager! oops.