IBM Deathstar

ugh :(

what are the trades description act(s) like over there?
you could always read up a bit on it and go into the shop spouting off nonsense about it - blind them with science so to speak :p

I too have been a victim of second rate HDD's from IBM. Deskstar GXP series to be precise. I ordered mine online just under a year ago and it committed digital suicide. Good news is they're guaranteed for 3 years, (if u don't mind more of the same!!)

Go to HGST website

This'll let you contact HGST (they are IBM now) and you'll get an RMA. I did, and had a shiny new drive in a couple o weeks. Just don't hold your breath waiting for a response.......but it will come ;)

You'll need model number and serial number too m8

Thankx for the info...gonna get it sorted tonight and wip the drive to ibm, In the neantime I have got a Maxtor 80G drive and a new P/S to be on the safe side.....

Erbmaster: any idea if Quantum are also guaranteed for 3 years? my trusty one died last night :/ (perhaps it wasnt so good after all lol)

Jonifen: Sorry m8, dunno about the Quantum drives. (I've owned a Fireball EX for last 4-5 years without problems.)

I'd stab a guess though and say they're gonna carry some kinda warranty.....U checked their site? There's usually some sort of warranty checker on most of 'em.

One other thing u may find useful if going straight to the manufacturer for replacement........If asked whether the drive is retail or OEM, claim OEM, that way u get an RMA straight from the manufacturer rather than being told to take it to your retailer, (who'll have to go and do the same thing as you would anyhow. You'll be lucky to find one who'll just swap it without sending it to the manufacturer to be checked 1st.)

You may get caught out though.....depends on the serial #'s etc
In which case feign ignorance. At the end of the day you have one of their products and it's failed.....they owe YOU!!!!

Hope this helps guys :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back