IBM 180GXP vs Western Digit JB

Actually it id 6 and 6 because of mine and nedreplan's!

ive had a QUANTUM FIEBALL 20gig, its lasted 5 years!!!!!!!

I have Quatnum SCSI 8GB drive for a while now...don't use it often, but I have it for a looooooooooooooong time.

i think the main reason they DIE so quick for some people is they are to stupid to be fooling around with them in the first place!! IMHO!

Seems IBM is slightly better and I'm happy to try it, but the major concerns to me is the quality problem.

I found IBM produce their HD in few difference countries. They have a huge quality difference.

Also, Hitachi is going to purchase majority of IBM's HDD-related assets. Anyone know will it affect the new harddisk in anyway? i.e. warranty, quality std, etc.
http://www.investor.ibm.com/news/us/2002/06/033.html

I have had two IBM's die on me. I have only had one WD drive ever and it was an old 3.2 gig that is still running in my Dad's machine. Personally IBM has a lot to prove to me before I will buy another one after all the problems with the 75&60 GXP's. Given a choice I will go with Maxtor.

In my Pentium 4, I currently have an IBM 8 gig (running since '95) and a WD 16 gig (running since '97). Both run fine, and actually score higher then the ATA66 reference drives in SiSoft Sandra, and they are ATA33 drives. Maybe a fluke, who knows, but they run fine to me and don't see any need to replace them. This system is run at least a few hours every day. I guess it depends on how well you take care of them.

Having said that, over the years I have seen more dead Seagates and Samsungs then anything else. I will steer clear of IBM due to all of the BS they've taken over certain Deathstar models dying prematurely. So I would vote for WD, and Maxtor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back