IBM 180GXP vs Western Digit JB

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by joey, Oct 9, 2002.

1. joey

joey Guest

Recently, both IBM and WD have launch a 8mb buffer EIDE harddisk.

Anyone knows which one is better?
  2. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Amongst the Native Ones
    On a general basis, I definitely prefer IBM hard drives which never failed on me...
  3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

On a general basis, I definitely avoid IBM hard drives which only seem to fail on me... (2 now)

You'll get very different oppinions depending on who answers in here.
  4. SysProg

SysProg OSNN Addict

North Aurora, IL
    I'll put in my 2 cents.

I've had 3 WD drives, 2 of which died within 3 months of installation. Never had a problem with IBM, Seagate, Quantum, nor Maxtor.
  5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    Go for the cheapest one & try for a three year warranty. :)
  6. paul_43

paul_43 Guest

go get a BMW... Toyota is not bad either... but personally in terms of buget and value... Hyundai is not a bad option if you are not that rich...
  7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Sacramento, CA
    go for BMW!

err... i mean, go with IBM! that new drive is sure to scream, seeing as how their current 120gxp is pretty much the fastest ide hd you can buy. all their drives come with a 3-year warranty, anyway.
  8. Were you expecting factual answers? Cus I don't think you'll get any. And I really can't be bothered to look, and you obviously can't be bothered to look, since you asked.

But I prefer Western Digital for no other reason than I just do.
  9. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I prefer IBM. I like how it runs ( it's speed ). Had WD drives, two died on me before, one recently, had an old Seagate drive ( 4GB ) that killed itself also :). Right now I'm just sticking with what works. IBM.
  10. cjdodd

cjdodd Guest

I used to own two 60G IBM Deskstars, both have now been returned to IBM for replacement as they both failed (within 1 month of each other)

I've now had them replaced and sold them and got some new Maxtor drives instead.

I would steer well clear of IBM Deskstar drives
  11. So that's 4 for IBM and 3 for WD.
  12. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Both companies are very debateable. I think you should just go what catches your eye first.
  13. GhaLeoN

GhaLeoN Guest

this WD has been running great

i recommend WD

maxtor hasnt let me down either
  14. bhxtyrant

bhxtyrant Guest

i have had western digitals in all my PC's three to be exact a 10GB,20GB,two 30GB and a 40GB had them all for two years going on three and none died on me yet.
  15. WD Coming thru....

That's now 5 for WD and 4 for IBM.

Keep those thoughts coming.
  16. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

I have got a IBM 40gig Deskstar. It is excellent, and cheap !
  17. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

A big number of the IBM 60GXP and 75GXP had major technical problems due to their construction. IBM lost alot on them. But with 120GXP (and forward) it has been fixed. I have a 120GXP and it has been the best Hdd so far, fast seek time and it is rock steady.

Next time I will get a new will be IBM...:)
  18. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

mine too
  19. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Yea! More good things for IBM! :::cheers:::
  20. omgsoup

omgsoup OSNN Senior Addict

in my dell, i'm on my 3rd drive (a WD) i was never really sure what the other two were, but they both failed on me, but i didn't know so much about computers then, it probably was some sort of **** up on my part and the part of 98SE/Me. but my 40G WD has been going strong for at least a year now.