I think my video card died :(

Hey, maybe there's some other OSNN person in your area that can help you with testing it.

I'll check in a little bit about your bios revision.

I couldn't find a d915GSE on the intel site. Is this a computer you built? Or is it a brand name machine?

Gateway MB? You're hosed. Those are unsupported by anyone including gateway. They are custom built for gateway by random, unheard of chinese assemblers and you normally can't find a replacement 12 months after they come out, even from the gateway parts store.

You really need to get the vid card into another system to make sure it's ok. If it is, it's MB time.

In the mean time there is one other option since that PC was shipped around and you don't know what it's original home was like.
-Fully disassemble it,
-clean out everything with canned air,
-then reassmble making sure the MB holes are lined up correctly so they don't have shorts to any circuit traces.
If the MB slips a little it can produe intermittent shorts ot the chassis.

And don't rule out the power supply. Gateway isn't known for using quality supplies. Blow the dust out of it also with the canned air. Stick in another PSU if you have one.

I believe your PCI-Express controller has gone bad. Or the default X16 lane configuration has changed, but that is not possible without the BIOS being altered.

You could ship it to me, but for about the same money your could just RAM the PC and go another direction.

Well, I have to agree with taking it apart, cleaning, and reassembling. Heck, even a re-installation of Vista would be good. Sorry to say it, but I wouldn't let my system sit with a possible problem unless there are no signs with a clean installation.

well as i stated earlier, its a clean install of vista..so thats not the problem...

If it works fine on XP then you have NO hardware problems!

Welcome to the VISTA open Beta test. :(
You have a VISTA compatibility problem with the MB AGP/PCI-e drivers, the video card drivers, an unrelated peice of hardware or software installed in your system, some other MB hardware driver, sun spots, or possibly the phase of the moon.

You may never be able to get that particular system stable with VISTA. Many manufacturers are not building drivers for what they consider out of date hardware. Re: Creative has said tough luck to the 10's of millions of sound blaster owners out there.

Hit the Gateway FAQ's and forums with the issue. There may be a fix in work.

Although its a gateway, i bought the case and MB as a combo, i have my own cpu and other parts, so im not sure what gateway model it was b4 i bought it.

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?p=790720&posted=1#post790720

I decided to try a vista upgrade from a 100% working xp, and it doesn't recongnize the card at all again.. b4 i upgraded i got this in the set up

attachment.php

Any ideas if the SCSI and RAID controllers have anything to do with the video card??????????????? Thanks a bunch leejend!

They shouldn't but my worst stability problem in 20 years of PC's was flaky sound card that screwed up everyhting but the sound.

Try turning off sound in the Bios and scsi if you don't need it. Then see if an install works. Like I said above the issue is with some set of drivers not liking VISTA.

And let me get this straight. Is the MB the original Gateway MB?
CPU shouldn't matter.

at first i thought it was, when it boots the the first screen is gateway..so im pretty sure, all i can find on the gateway site is the d915gsn

Compare the parts on your board (NB, SB, SOund, Lan, etc) to what is in the GSN manual. If they match your board is really the GSN and Gateway did not bother to change the name in the Bios so Sandra read the Intel OEM board number.

That's the problem with buying "brand" name computers. All they do is buy from Intel and then stamp a bogus name on the board confusing the customer.

whats gsn? Yea i went though the gateway site and nothing on the d915GSE justthe GSN. Even some of the programs wouldnt install on the GSE board cuz the programs for the GSN said the board didnt match. I know its vista and the mb, cuz in xp it ran 1000000000000000% perfect!

yea i know, but the bios update doesn't work for my GSE. I called gateway and after giving them a fake serial number (thanks to tigerdiret pictures of pc's) i found the model number of my pc. They said they have no new updates since its an old board...so i guess ill just live with it till i can find a new btx board for my case

UPDATE

So i ditched my old rig and got my new one Installed vista and had aero working right on the nvidia chipset 6100. So i decided to install the x700 pro i was having problems with, and it works perfect. So in the end my card is great, and the old pc must have had a bad pci-e x16 slot.

Well that's good news, all's well that ends well :) Have a cookie for success!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back