I think I have a ghost inside my XP PC, please help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cocochan

I have installed Win XP Pro onto my P4 PC last night. After complete with the Win XP Pro installation, I also installed XP SP1 build 1050 and Norton Anti Virus 2002 external beta test. After reboot the PC I play around with the NAV 2002 then I shut down my PC by using the on / off button at the front of my case. Then went to bed. But something very strange happen this morning, when I turn on my PC as usual, nothing happen and all I see there is a amber (orange) light lit up at the hard drive led of my computer case. I am sure I have power etc. After fiddling around for a few minutes, I was manage to boot my PC into Windows XP. Then I go into Control Panel and device manager, everything seems to be fine, so I shut down my PC and prepare to go for work. But after I shut down my PC, I try to turn it on again, same thing happen. If I press the eject button of my DVD-ROM, it will slide out very slowly. then my DVD-ROM begin to slide in and out very slowly, so I am a bit scary, so I turn off the on / off at the back of power supply but this does not help at all. My DVD-ROM keeps slide in and out very slowly.

May I know what should I do to fix my "ghost" computer. Please help !

who ya gonna call?
Ghostbusters!!!!!:D

j/k......well obviously. No seriously though..............i have no idea!

It sounds like your PC is going in to hibernate mode when you press the power button, my suggestion is go to control panel\power options, select the advanced tab and change the power buttons options. Hope this helps.

blame it on the beta software............shouldnt use it........or it could just be cursed, you got an old g/for b/f thats mad at you that was into vodoo:D

edit:dont know your sex so i dont want to make anyone mad

chooch It sounds like your PC is going in to hibernate mode when you press the power button, my suggestion is go to control panel\power options, select the advanced tab and change the power buttons options. Hope this helps.
I agree that is the most likely cause of the problem.

Quote: "I think I have a ghost inside my XP PC, please help !"

Alright, the first thing you have to do is calm down. When did this start happening? Were there any stressful events that may have caused this eXPerience? If so, how long ago?:D

How to deal with stubborn computers...

Over the years I have spent working on computers, I have noticed something in common between the users who own them. Many users can be intimidated by their computers. This gives the computer a psycological advantage over the user, an advantage that the computer enjoys exploiting. Symtoms of an exploitatious computer include frequent error dialog boxes, various boot problems, program crashes, and the occasional BSOD. By using techniques such as these, computers help establish a sense of fear and worryment in the user. One of the best remedies to this problem is to fight fire with fire. You need to scare the everloving sh*t out of your computer. Here are a few suggestions.

1) Here's a technique I've heard is used by a certain tech working at a certain retail computer store. Anytime there would be a computer problem that noone there could fix, he would take the computer to a back room, lock the door, and start yelling and cussing at the computer at the top of his lungs. After about a 10 minute session, the computer would begin working again.

2) Here's another technique I've heard used at a local ISP. One of there computers would not always shutdown or reboot properly. Solution: give the computer a boot. One quick kick to the case would usually encourage it to work right.

3) The method I prefer involves cannibalizing older computers. Find an old 486 or the like, preferably an old Compaq or Packard Bell, or some other computer that is either broken or will never be used again. Thuroughly disassemble the old computer in the presence of your current computer. Be sure to spread out the various system components around the room to give your current computer a better view. Remove all jumpers and screws and keep them in a small glass jar on top of your computer. Doing so gives you quick access to screws/jumpers if you need them AND makes computers queasy having to hold spare parts that have been disemboweled from another computer. Next, begin dismembering the various computer components. I prefer playing frizbe with motherboards on concrete/asphalt surfaces. (Note: you may also be able to ask for old broken computer components at local computer dealerships too.) After you have thuroughly dismembered a few pieces of hardware, hang them on the ceiling or wall around your computer as a reminder to it of what can happen to computers who refuse to cooperate.

4) I have seen more radical approaches to technique 3 posted by several people on the internet. For example, I have seen some people take a CD-RW drive that refused to "burn" a CD. To remedy this problem, they removed the drive, took it outside, and proceded to douse the drive in gasoline or other highly flamible substance. After using one of various methods to light it ablaze, the resulting product could be kept on display next a newer CD-RW drive.

5) Seek professional help. (For the computer.)

Note: If I offended anyone, I'm sorry. I just felt like writing something funny/sarcastic today. Actually, some of these methods have been known to work. (Mainly a psycological thing I think.)

Actually some of those do work. I beat my computer any time it messes up. And once on one of my old computer the cpu stopped working so i threw it against my wall and let it sit o my carpet for a day then next morning popped it back in and it fired right up. the key is to show your computer who's boss. If that dont work just reinstall.:D

it does not sound like a software issue , if you say the cdrom tray is coming out slow it sounds like it maybe a bad power supply or not enough power going to the mother board. I would try and boot up with only mobo hd with nothing else in the computer to see if there is still a power issue. you may have to much in the computer (pci slot) for that PS to handle..
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back