I am getting another HD tommorow.

Here is my current setup.

Primary IDE Channel

Maxtor 40GB - Master
Western Digital 120GB - Master

Secondary IDE Channel

NEC2500A DVD Writer - Master
Plextor 40x CD Writer - Slave

What I want to do is add another 200GB to the setup onto the Secondary IDE channel but I have no more connections left.

How do i install the 3rd HD while keeping the rest of my setup intact without spending a ton of money?

My motherboard is a ASUS A7V333 and I am using Windows XP w/ SP2.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't think my ASUS A7V333 is the RAID version.

I'll look into the controller cards anyway.

thanks ;)

Oh, one other thing.

I don't have any power connectors left either.

I'm already using a power splitter.

4 connections are used for the 4 devices I already have and the 5th for my HSF.

Do I just add another power splitter?

you can try adding a power splitter... or removing the cd writer...

personally I think you should migrate data from the 40gig hdd to one of the bigger ones and stick that elsewhere :)

there are some external enclosures you can buy online to house it in... data will be transfered via the USB or firewire ports... a bit slower but the enclosure and hdd combo == effectively an external hdd... :D

spend 30 on newegg and get a usb2.0 enclosur for it.. best damn 30 i have ever spent. i love it.

I am wondering why he has the DVD/CD on primary channels and the drives on the secondary. :confused:

American Zombie said:
I am wondering why he has the DVD/CD on primary channels and the drives on the secondary. :confused:

My bad, I got the post wrong :p

I have the two HDs in Primary as C and D drive.

Sazar said:
you can try adding a power splitter... or removing the cd writer...

personally I think you should migrate data from the 40gig hdd to one of the bigger ones and stick that elsewhere :)

I really don't wanna waste that 40GB of space :)

I may just remove the CD Writer, set the 200GB WD HD as Primary Slave and the 120GB HD as a secondary slave.

is that setup ok?

Just get an ATA Controller PCI Card and another power splitter..... I have additional 6 splitters running.
Quite cheap.

ok, no offense, but what could you possibly need with that 40gb HDD when you will have a total of 320gb? I mean if you have a reason then I guess go with the controler card, but beyond that......

I have a 80gb and a 60gb and a ton of games, software, programs etc and I still have 80gb free between the 2.

Get an external enclosure for the 40GB and be smart and use it as a backup device with disk images and important data on it.

Tweakfiend said:
Just get an ATA Controller PCI Card and another power splitter..... I have additional 6 splitters running.
Quite cheap.
This is what I was going to suggest. What you want and rather cheap compared to your other options.

Maveric169 said:
ok, no offense, but what could you possibly need with that 40gb HDD when you will have a total of 320gb? I mean if you have a reason then I guess go with the controler card, but beyond that......

I have a 80gb and a 60gb and a ton of games, software, programs etc and I still have 80gb free between the 2.
I could fill it in a matter of weeks :)

-edit- Oh and with 100% legit music

i have 520 gigs and maybe 20 free right now.. before i lost 3 drives i had close to 600 all full... its really easy to do.

The enclosure for a backup would be a great use of it!

*** offtopic, What in the world do you all have on your pc's! I have over 28hrs worth of music and music videos, a backup of an entire website (I just keep it cause I made it), and like I said tons of games and misc programs, and a full backup of my system! Are you guys running multiple OS's and software for each or what? I am just curious as to what you use all that space for.

I have nearly every document I have ever created on my machine and I just don't think I could fill the space with everything I got.

In Images alone I have over 80gig , there there is my DVD's backed up , all my files , music , then install games so in my case I have a 160gig , a 80gig a 80gig a 40gig a 40gig for 400 gig Total

But I have lots of free space still, I am a backup freak. All my game cd's and dvd's are backed up plus music. At the price it is now for HD's its nothing. 160gig hard drives are not even 200$ anymore.

hmm.. not as much as I thought but probably because a majority of it was burned off to DVD/CD. Anyhoo I got 76GB of concerts right now and would like probably another TB if I had the space. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back