I need help to reinstall a file

loverboy27

OSNN Newbie
--- edit: post run through fitzTrans translation software ---

Uh, hi there folks. I am new to this site. I have a question regarding a problem with my PC.

On Sept. 21st I had signed up for dial-up Internet Access with Earthlink.

Everything was working fine until just before I installed Yahoo Messenger. I started getting warning messages about some failure or corrupting on my system. As I restarted my system, the PC seemed to hang on bootup and would not load my desktop. It only got to the point where it displays the Windows 2000 logo before it hung. On the next reboot after that, I got an error message that said a file was missing or corrupt

So is there any way that anyone could tell me what I need to do to reinstall a copy of the file so my system can get back to running?

I just signed up for Internet access and I don't want to have to cancel it. It sucks that I have a problem so soon after I finally get access. I was so sad when my system wouldnt go on and start all the way up like it should.

Someone else I know suggested that I try to see if my PC will start successfully in safe mode.

I hope I can get this fixed because I am tired of going to library to use the Internet because they only allow you to stay on the computers there for 1 hour at a time. I hate that.. so can someone help me get this fixed?

Thanks, I'll be waiting. :)

----------------

original message for comparison:

Uh Hi there folks, I am new to this site. what I wanna talk about is my PC, the problem and everything. On Sept. 21st I had just sign up for internet service with earthlink. I was surfing the web ok, upon installing yahoo messenger, well before i did it, sum messages kept on poppoign up on my PC telling me that my system could lead to a failure or it could be corrupted if i dont hurry up and nothing about it. I sign up for dial-up with earthlink. as i restart my PC to let it load up, it looked like it did not wanna go on and proceed to load up to the desktop where the icons be at. I was wondering what was the problem of why it did not wanna go on and load up. all it goes up to when ya turn it on is the operating system window which is windows2000 professional and does not go any further from there right, and I restart and went to troubleshoot to see what the problem was, and it said that the following file it had on it could be missing or corrupted, and I said oh my. so is there any way that anyone could tell me what i need to do to reinstall a copy of the file so my system can get back to running cause i have internet and i do not wanna cancel if, i just got it about 2 weeks ago, and i declare if a problem had to occur on the day I got it. I was so sad when my system wouldnt go on and start all the way up like it should. hey someone told me to ask yall this, can i try to start my PC up in safe mode and see what can i do from there. i hope i can, cause i am tired of going to library to stay on for only 1 hour, thats they time limit on they PC's. I hate that, so give me sum good results, ok. I'll be waiting.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
phew.. a little better use of proper capitalization and paragraph breaks might go a long way to making your post more readable..

That being said, it might help to start out with what error you're getting (as in, what file does it say is missing or corrupt)

edit:
ok.. translated the post as best as I could using my patented fitzTrans software.
So, have you tried starting the PC in safe mode?

oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I can read it both ways. :s

Hey fitz, you do know how to use a period to end a sentence don't you? I'll let you find that one. And when you use "I" as in, "tell me what i need to do to", maybe capitalization is in order? Also :eek: this section, "It sucks that I had a problem so soon after", "had" is past tense. He still does have the problem does he not? Maybe you should check your translation software, I think it's buggy. Just a thought. :p

Last edited:
lol.. hey, it's beta software :)

lol.. hey, it's beta software :)

hey who are ya, it seen like ya are making fun of what i posted on here. well i heen told that the file that is missing. I need a recovery cd to restore it. but i dont have it, this pc was given to me. well i just find out that this pc had more than one operating system on it. i installed windows xp on it, not i am doing good. i am on it now as i send ya this message, so what i am gonna do is let windows xp pro get installed on it oo so just in case this operating sysyem goes bad on me, boom i'll have another already installed. the other one that i find out it had on here is windows 98. the one that i am having problems with is windows 200 professional that the file is missing on. I am gonna get windows xp home edition and professional. I done had enough of the old versions. I dont like them anymore. and I am gonna later on get windows vista the new version.

Last edited:
I will close and/or delete this thread if you don't learn to format posts so people can read what you are typing.

It's simple really. Use your enter key.

It leaves these gaps you see in posts between paragraphs.

Makes it really easy to read and help you.

Please use it.

Thanks.

loverboy27, listen, explain the error message (if any). Also please tell us what this file is (It's name in full). It seems (But I could be wrong) that your primary language is not English. Please do not feel insulted, this is not my intent. But take your time in typing out your post. Tell us about your computer, it's components and operating system(s) that is/are installed on it. Tell us on which Operating System this error is occurring on. Now do you need to have more than one Operating System on the Computer? Also have you asked/talked to the person that gave you this Computer? They might be able to help you if they are knowledgeable with computers and if they built this Computer that was given to you. Take your time think it out then post it.

hey who are ya, it seen like ya are making fun of what i posted on here.

Me? I'm no one.. just a friendly moderator here trying to help.

I'm not making fun of you. I was trying to help you get an answer since most people would not be able to make sense of your original post.

I'm confused on a couple things:
well i just find out that this pc had more than one operating system on it.
How do you just find this out now? It should be rather obvious if you have different versions of windows installed.

i installed windows xp on it, not i am doing good.
I'm assuming you mean "now I am doing good" as opposed to "not I am doing good"

i am on it now as i send ya this message,
Sending on what? The windows 2000 side that didn't load? Or the other OS that you didn't know was there? Or the copy of XP that you installed?

so what i am gonna do is let windows xp pro get installed on it oo so just in case this operating sysyem goes bad on me, boom i'll have another already installed.

Wait.. I thought you said you already installed XP on it? What OS might go bad? The copy of XP you just installed? So you want to install another copy of XP in case your current load of XP goes bad?!?

the other one that i find out it had on here is windows 98. the one that i am having problems with is windows 200 professional that the file is missing on. I am gonna get windows xp home edition and professional.
Again, I thought you already said you installed XP?!?
And if I understand you right, you want to install both home edition and professional editon? I would highly recommend against that.

I done had enough of the old versions. I dont like them anymore. and I am gonna later on get windows vista the new version.

Bottom line, it seems like your system is this messed up already with multiple operating systems installed, I'm guessing you don't have them on seperate partitions and probably have multiple versions of windows installed into the same windows directory (c:\windows) which is probably why you are having problems with corrupt installs and system files missing.

And if you are going to go to Vista, why are you messing with XP now?

My advice.. format and reload from scratch with the one operating system you choose. And leave it at one operating system only.

If you must feel the need to dual-boot between multiple operating systems, I would advise you to repartition your drive (or buy a second hard drive) to keep them seperate.

Last edited:
Me? I'm no one.. just a friendly moderator here trying to help.

I'm not making fun of you. I was trying to help you get an answer since most people would not be able to make sense of your original post.

I'm confused on a couple things:

How do you just find this out now? It should be rather obvious if you have different versions of windows installed.

I'm assuming you mean "now I am doing good" as opposed to "not I am doing good"

Sending on what? The windows 2000 side that didn't load? Or the other OS that you didn't know was there? Or the copy of XP that you installed?

Wait.. I thought you said you already installed XP on it? What OS might go bad? The copy of XP you just installed? So you want to install another copy of XP in case your current load of XP goes bad?!?

Again, I thought you already said you installed XP?!?
And if I understand you right, you want to install both home edition and professional editon? I would highly recommend against that.

Bottom line, it seems like your system is this messed up already with multiple operating systems installed, I'm guessing you don't have them on seperate partitions and probably have multiple versions of windows installed into the same windows directory (c:\windows) which is probably why you are having problems with corrupt installs and system files missing.

And if you are going to go to Vista, why are you messing with XP now?

My advice.. format and reload from scratch with the one operating system you choose. And leave it at one operating system only.

If you must feel the need to dual-boot between multiple operating systems, I would advise you to repartition your drive (or buy a second hard drive) to keep them seperate.

naw what I mean is this, the Pc already had windows 98 and 2000 on it when someone gave it to me. windows 2000 is the one that dont wanna start up, cause of file missing or corrupt. the name of the file missing or corrrupt is system 32, yep. i heard thats a major file that is migging, oh yep. well thank ya so much for ya advice there bud. i might do try to have it formatted and start from scratch like ya are saying. today I am taking it to a friend of mine thats gonna do about 10 things to it for me.

what operating system ya have on yours.

about windows vista I am gonna just get the trial version of it burn onto a Cd, and when my system fail to load up again later on in the future, I am gonna give vista a try and see how it works out, yep. so i should let it get repartition, i think i might just do that by the way, yep.

I only have 128MB RAM, I gotta get a lot more on it. I am thinking about getting 1024 MB RAM I saw online on a website, only 54.99 from a computer company called tigerdirect, yep. when i get that, i know my system will run much faster, oh yep. that file thats missing requires a recovery cd to re-install it, but i dont have any. if i get it from the manufacutrer, it is 69 dollars, no way i dont think so.

I am not go to vista now, i am gonna wait until later on and go to it. well thank ya so much for ya time, reply back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back