I need help selecting a good firewall.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by daddyo, Mar 5, 2003.

1. daddyo

daddyo OSNN Addict

What is a decent firewall for someone who doesn't know much about that kind of thing? I've used Norton Personal Firewall, but it seems to be giving my machine fits lately.

Is there a good replacement that is easy to use?
  2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    Depends how paranoid you are. If you just want to stop incoming stuff then use XP's firewall. Go to network connections right click your isp/properties/advaned.
  3. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Turtle Island
    This has been discussed quite often daddyo. Please use the Search button at the top of the page and search for "Firewall"
  4. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

As Kr0m says give it a search.

I dont normally push people towards one particular product but will suggest you check out the Kerio thread in the security section :)

Whatever works best for you is key, try a few.
  5. daddyo

daddyo OSNN Addict

OK, thanks for your help everyone. I forgot about the "Computer Security" forum. Guess I should've checked there first. I'll check out Kerio tonight. It sounds interesting from what people have been saying.

Normally I'm a fan of Norton products, but lately it's been messing my machine up. I uninstalled the personal firewall and all was good again. I must have a conflict somewhere.

Thanks again for your help.
  6. pappcam

pappcam Guest

If you have a broadband connection your best bet is to get a router (50-70$) and use a free firewall like Zonealarm. The router will block all incoming threats and the firewall will block all outgoing attempts.
  7. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Have any of you tried to test the XP Firewall ??? I did and everyport was open .. So I don't use it.

Firewalls are like the Amd and Intel battle (we all know that amd is better by the way) it is all based on personal preferences .. and not listening to what others say, they all do the same thing, some are just diff in terms of function, configuration, and security ..