I need help - BootXP is Evil

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by TBone, Jan 11, 2002.

1. TBone

TBone Guest

Browing the XP-erience.org main page, I found a program called BootXP: http://www.flvip.com/bootxp/, and decided I might as well try it out, after running it, it turned out to be a worthless little piece of software so I deleted it, I noticed it had created three files on my HD in the c:\ folder and deleted them one of them being boot.ini.

Now when I turn on my computer it says:
    "Boot.ini not found
    Loading from c:\windows\"

I am wondering how I can prevent this message from coming up, I'm guessing some system file like a different .ini has a line like load=c:\boot.ini, but I have no idea where to look, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. And no, I don't have a System Restore point.

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

boot.ini is a native system file. I'm dual booting so mine wouldn't be the same as yours. You can try this and hopefully it will work for you... If you have problems booting you'll need to boot from a floppy, delete the file and try again. Open notepad and paste this to it:

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Save the file as 'boot.ini' in your system root directory (c:\). I hope the parameters are all correct for your system. Like i said, if it stalls on bootup then just boot to a flopply, delete it and try again.

Your bootloader options can be found following this path: Control Panel> System> 'advanced' tab> Startup and Recovery 'settings' button. At the top of this page is where you tinker with your boot.ini file.