i need a new 17 inch monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by the_music_man, Dec 7, 2003.

1. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

2. the_music_man

3. LPDad

LPDad OSNN Addict

I don't know where you live, but I am in So California and we have computer shows about every month...

They are selling ALMOST NEW 19 inch and 21 inch monitors for $100. These are for the TOP brands, which are selling in the stores for alot more.

I would strongly suggest checking out the computer fairs...Lots of companies are switching over to LCD monitors and you can pick up their surplus moinitors for a song.

4. the_music_man

oh sometimes we get computer fairs in NC but not much... Do they usually include warranties when companys sell them?

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If you want value for the dollar I highly recommend the Samsung 753DF (or the latest upgrade to it).

I brought home and tried 5 different monitors (cost was not a concern) and looked at another 10 in the computer stores. I ended up with this one for:

Price - under $150.
    Controls - all I needed and then some.
    Display quality - no eyestrain
    Glare - lowest of nay monitor I looked at.
    Flat Screen - yes

I have a couple friends who've bought them since and they agree it's best price trade off.

Some downside on big name$$$$$:
    Trnitron tubes have the annoying horizontal gray lines from the tension wire.

Diamondtron have a very grainy appearance. The pixel aspect ratio is different from most brands.

Many "low glare" tubes are not.

Many flat screens use rounded tubes then have a seperate layer of glass over that to make it look flat. Glare/ghosting goes up.

Many low glare screens are actually cheap round tubes with a seperate flat glare screen over the top that causes low light level, color shift, and excessive internal reflections with dark screens.

6. the_music_man

cool on newegg that samsung is 119 bucks. neato! i'll check it out! thanks