I love my ISP !

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Howling Wolf, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Yes,
    I first signed for a 512/128 adsl connection for 30€ (euros) (=35.8$) in october 2002, then my ISP benefited of an officially possible "divorce" from the historical telecom leader and my connection jumped to 2048/384 (2.4Mbits) still for 30€ (euros)... until two weeks ago... yes, it has again jumped to... 4576/384 (4.6Mbits) and again still for 30€ (euros) :D
    Yes, what a wonderful ISP I have ! Some here know where I live (and I for now stay here for this reason only ;) )

2. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

downloading DEMON, you are :D

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

....and yet UK residents are still stuck on 512k for those prices. We're verging on the ridiculous when it comes to supposed technological advances.

4. Too right Speedy, I want 2mbit!

5. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

Tell me about it. I've got a 1meg adsl connection with pipex and it costs £34 a month. Damn expencive but I've seen the prices go up to £40 a month with some isp's. I think BT charge isp's £27 a month which is why it's so expencive. It's a bit scary to think what 4576/384 (4.6Mbits) would cost over here though If it's even availible to start with.

6. SPeedY_B

You can get a 2mb connection in this country for £35, but that's only because it uses an DataStream connection rather than IPStream. In comparison it's incredibly unreliable.. you're not guaranteed full speed, and it's generally a pain in the ****. It just shows that the technology is there.. we (rather the ISP's) just need to learn how to utilise it better.

7. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

dam i wish we could get those speeds :(

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

BT is suffocating all the ISPs in the UK by keeping prices high. Also, the government is doing nothing to open up the competition in the Internet/Communications market.

9. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Wait till you get to university. Connections are beyond awesome. I've had downloads go up to 10 MB/s here. (yes, bytes...not bits)
    It's crazy... [​IMG]

10. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

yeah school has a 2Mbit connection, they want an 8Mb connection but i dunno if they'll get it :p

11. unknownsoul

unknownsoul Moderator

I have a cable connection here and i get roughly a 4 MB/s download speed for about $49. It's not bad since it relies on a cable connection and not a telephone line which can go down for the dumbest things. I work at an ISP and dsl is really nothing compared to a wireless or cable connection.

12. SPeedY_B

Har! Even the highschool here has 8mb, and we're in a retarded little village :p

13. Howling Wolf

Ooooops, I forgot to mention than since my connection jumped to 2048/384, I do not need any login/password anymore, XP sees it as a LAN connection at startup :)

14. Howling Wolf

Once again, my ISP is about to do it !
    Due to the ongoing competition between ISPs, mine is going to up a little more my connection, from 5.7Mbits Down 384Kbits UP to 6Mbits Down 512Kbits UP :)

15. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

6mbits?? :eek:

My word, I've been stuck on 512k for the past two years or so, and they've only just lowered the monthlycharge (by a few pounds or so). However, I've just found out that they're capping the damn thing early next year too :mad:

16. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Am I the only person who doesn't care about speed???
    Mine's doubling to 300k next month for no extra cost but I can't say I'm that bothered really :D

17. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Damn, I thought my ISP was doing good stuff :eek:
    The service will upgrade from 2048/384 to 3072/576 Kbit/s within a few weeks, for 49.50 euros. Then to think I was at 512/128 at the beginning... (for 44.99 euros/100 guilders).

18. Kush

Kush High On Life!

hey wolf, can i move in with u? lol

19. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

I jumped from 3 Mbps to 5 mbps in this past year.

After a while, you just stop noticing.

Melon

20. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I get 6.4M/768k for ₩46,000 a month. Not too shabby if you ask me...