I know this is for XP but I need help please

S

seahawkUK

Here is the thing .

I did see the same problem around here .

I got two PC's one quite powerfull with win xp and it runs quite well

now I still got my old system

P III 500
256 MB SDRAM ( 2x 128 )
AGP Voodoo 3 3000
NIC
40 GIG HDD
CD/DVD ROM

this one is for going online only - the system on this one is 98se

Software

98 se
DSL Provider Software
Flash GET

IE 5.5

thats it.

Now the problem - not always but too many times the machine reboots itself - usually I can leave the machine on for hours and actually surf for hours without anything bad but when I download things ( sometimes one item only , sometimes more than one ) bang - reboot .

does anybody here got some sort of Idea or way of narrowing down the problem ?

Sorry about the hassle .

sounds typical of a RAM problem. Take one out peice, see if it cures it then. if not take the other out. and/or if you can use ram from another machine.

also check its not over heating anywhere

Try running ie in a separate process. That way, if anything hangs, you can safely shut it down without it rebooting your system.

Okay - memory seems not to be the problem - I took each of them out and still the same problem.

I reallocated the NIC to a different slot and here the same .

Heat is something I can rule out all together .

Its like somebody keeps hitting te reset button - I disconnected it already ( i know sounds silly but I tought there might be a mechanical fault on the button ) .

I can sometimes download a programm or two and next time already one is enough to RESET te machine ?????????????????

A shot in the dark here...

Have you checked your internet connections and download prefs.. many download utilities have options to disconnect after downloading a file. That could be set wrongly, also check the disconnect after x number of minutes and disconnect on idle.. these options are in your Dialup settings.

Stuy_B

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back