I know this is for XP but I need help please

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by seahawkUK, Feb 13, 2002.

1. seahawkUK

seahawkUK Guest

Here is the thing .

I did see the same problem around here .

I got two PC's one quite powerfull with win xp and it runs quite well

now I still got my old system

P III 500
    256 MB SDRAM ( 2x 128 )
    AGP Voodoo 3 3000
    40 GIG HDD

this one is for going online only - the system on this one is 98se

98 se
    DSL Provider Software
    Flash GET

IE 5.5

thats it.

Now the problem - not always but too many times the machine reboots itself - usually I can leave the machine on for hours and actually surf for hours without anything bad but when I download things ( sometimes one item only , sometimes more than one ) bang - reboot .

does anybody here got some sort of Idea or way of narrowing down the problem ?

Sorry about the hassle .
  2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

sounds typical of a RAM problem. Take one out peice, see if it cures it then. if not take the other out. and/or if you can use ram from another machine.

also check its not over heating anywhere
  3. Alliedsvcs

Alliedsvcs Guest

Try running ie in a separate process. That way, if anything hangs, you can safely shut it down without it rebooting your system.
  4. seahawkUK

seahawkUK Guest

Okay - memory seems not to be the problem - I took each of them out and still the same problem.

I reallocated the NIC to a different slot and here the same .

Heat is something I can rule out all together .

Its like somebody keeps hitting te reset button - I disconnected it already ( i know sounds silly but I tought there might be a mechanical fault on the button ) .

I can sometimes download a programm or two and next time already one is enough to RESET te machine ?????????????????
  5. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

A shot in the dark here...

Have you checked your internet connections and download prefs.. many download utilities have options to disconnect after downloading a file. That could be set wrongly, also check the disconnect after x number of minutes and disconnect on idle.. these options are in your Dialup settings.