I heard that... - IE gets dropped.

I don't believe IE is going to be abandonded, especially since I beta test a lot of their software (including Longhorn). What I can say is that Microsoft will most likely make IE a standalone product and not integrate its core into Windows, like previous versions. Instead, they will probably create a new form of Windows Explorer that will take the place of IE's role in the kernel and simply use IE as a standalone product.

Making people pay for IE will really kill the market for IE. Why would anyone buy it? Good for Mozilla and Opera I guess. :)

Originally posted by Zedric
Making people pay for IE will really kill the market for IE. Why would anyone buy it? Good for Mozilla and Opera I guess. :)

Bear in mind that Opera isn't free unless you want banners (no-one does :)) and Most people would go go Netscape rather than Mozilla, with it being the more commercial side of things ;)

But still, there's probably over 50% of windows users (no offence to them, but, the one's who dont have a clue) who will gladly just throw money at microsoft/whoever to make things work because they know no better.

I found this link which gives a bit of speculation: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4015.asp

Particularly interesting is this in the article:

A new shell location called Download Manager (Figure) appears to be functionally similar to the Download Manager used by MSN 8.5. The integration of downloading into the shell led me to some speculation about the future of Internet Explorer (IE). You might recall that many people are wondering why IE development has virtually stopped. This might be because IE, the product, is indeed going away and that Longhorn users will simply browse the Web using the Windows shell. The relationship between Web browsing and Longhorn may therefore be similar to the relationship between Web browsing and the MSN 8.x interface, which supplies a Web browser window, sure, but also lots of other functionality. I think the MSN-Longhorn connection runs deeper than previously thought, but this is just speculation at this point.

Originally posted by Zedric

you have to buy opera to unless you want those ugly adds in the top right corner that cover up the buttons in window mode

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Bear in mind that Opera isn't free unless you want banners (no-one does :)) and Most people would go go Netscape rather than Mozilla, with it being the more commercial side of things ;)

But still, there's probably over 50% of windows users (no offence to them, but, the one's who dont have a clue) who will gladly just throw money at microsoft/whoever to make things work because they know no better.

hmmm sounds kinda like the intel consumers.....

Originally posted by Krux
hmmm sounds kinda like the intel consumers.....
Ehhh.... riiiight. That's another (flame) topic. Let's leave that out shall we?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back