I have another problem!

T

Tonya

Hello Everybody! I hope everyone had a wonderfully romantic Valentines Day! I have another problem. My windows take quite a while to pop up. Once the window is up, I have no problems. Then load well, and clicking on pages works fine. When I go to click on my files and folders, there's a little pause before they open. I also can't sign on to a secure server. I wrote HP, and they wrote back with a lot of advice. I had already done most of it, but redid it again. (empty recycle bin, temporary files, defrag, diskscan...) Nothing helped. Any advice?

Thanks,
Tonya

ok go to internet option in IE then restore defaults at the bottom then get ad aware 6Here then disable some of the start up options in msconfig

what you mean by my windows??? Individual program windows ???

or windows xp itself ??

anway for windows xp starting up check this guide

http://www.ntfs.org/articles.php?action=show&id=16

for individual programs and stuff, make sure you defrag every once in a while

cool.gif

I've done all that. I have disckeeper and defraged again this morning. I went and got the bootvis a couple of days ago and did that also. I shut down most of my running apps but that didn't change a thing either. I have ad-aware 6, and use it frequently. Please tell me you have other ideas, because I've run out!! HP wrote back again and suggested the non-destructive recovery, but I want that as a last resort. (everytime I write them and they don't know the answer, they say to do the non-destructive recovery.)

Thanks,
Tonya

go run and type sfc/ scannow maybe wont work as you have an oem recovery disk which is not as powerful as the reatil verions of windows xp tell me which pc you have as ive got an idea that may work

The run program you told me to do didn't work. I have a hp pavilion 04, it came equiped with windows xp home edition. It came with a built recovery program. I have 384 MB memory. I have 78% free disk space.

Thanks

right follow this guide windows xp may be on your drive and you can run it just like a disk and completely reinstall windows with no loss of programs or data follow carefully

1) go to control panel |folder Options | view tab then make hidden files visible

then open up search and lookin all files and folders go to advanced options and check search hidden files and folders if not ticked already then type "winnt32.exe" (no quotes) then if it comes up click on the app and it should run windows setup

come back to forums if this dont work or if you need more help:)

I found a ran the set-up. But it wouldn't run all the way through. Half way through it said there was an error and closed.

ok search again and then rite click and select OPen containing Folder its there which is a good sign and have a look in the folder and post me a screenshot and ill see if it looks promising:)

BTW the folder should be named I386

I can't take a screenshot. I know I've been told how to before, but it just doesn't work for me. I think I'll go ahead and do the non-destructive recovery. Thanks for all your advice.

Originally posted by XP Abuser
right follow this guide windows xp may be on your drive and you can run it just like a disk and completely reinstall windows with no loss of programs or data follow carefully

1) go to control panel |folder Options | view tab then make hidden files visible

then open up search and lookin all files and folders go to advanced options and check search hidden files and folders if not ticked already then type "winnt32.exe" (no quotes) then if it comes up click on the app and it should run windows setup

come back to forums if this dont work or if you need more help:)

I also have an HP (750n) - are you telling me running winnt32.exe is basically a "repair install of XP Home" - without having to go thru HP's Nondestructive Recovery?? That file is sorta like an XP cd for repair???

Tell me more - or give me a reference and I'll do my own searching!!

WINNT32.exe is the file that actually starts the windows install, on a regular XP CD it is located in the I386 directory along with all the other setup files

If it is not too late see how these go>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Go to the control panel\administrative tools\services
2. Find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Also if not on a network disable 'workstation' at the same place as above.

yeh you can damnyank you can find the I386 folder which is usually hidden but is not always on the drive rip it off the drive find a setup executable get a boot sector on it and hey presto your very own disk ill guide you how to do it but you must have the I386 folder located on your hard drive find winnt32.exe and run it but as tonya said hers didnt work maybe cuz they removed a file or its corrupt but you could get a list of files your missing and replace them from a mates disk dont know how legal it is

but just find the I386 folder and mess about with it ill be here most of day so just cum to forums and ill help

Hey Xp-Abuser: I found the winnt32.exe, clicked on "run" and got a warning: " Installation sourcepath specified is invalid, Contact System Adminstrator". First of all I am on a stand alone computer and I guess I am the Sys Admin - so duh!

Also please explain this:
rip it off the drive find a setup executable get a boot sector on it and hey presto your very own disk

also, how would I do this?
you could get a list of files your missing

Please excuse my stupidity - but this is all new ground for me and I am very cautious when in an area I do not feel comfortable with - so please bear with me!

Thanx in advance!

While exploring in my C:I386 folder I found a Winnt32, Windows Installer Package (66KB in size), which when I right click it, it lists an Install, a Repair and an Uninstall option.

Can anyone offer more info on this??

hi damn yank glad to hear I386 is there try copying the whole folder to another area of the drive still keeping the same name. I also i tried that windows installer package it caused some activity but nothing was installed to my knowledge also theres a help file that lists the parameters of winnt32.exe but just copy the i386 folder to another directory on your hard drive such as my documents then run winnt32.exe there
;)

also my i386 has 6114 files in and is 446mb

... also the souce path maybe invalid as you are intsalling windows from a folder within windows which may be causing errors thats the reason for moving the folder to my documents:)

My I386 folder has 6,166 files in 17 folders and is 449 MB in size (463 MB on disk)

Before I do anything more I would like answers to these:

Also please explain these:
rip it off the drive find a setup executable get a boot sector on it and hey presto your very own disk.

Copy the i386 folder to another directory on your hard drive such as my documents then run winnt32.exe there - what is the expected outcome??

It seems if this is what I want, why would I not burn it to cd???

I may have missed something somewhere or be confused, but I thought I was trying to make something similiar to a "homemade XP cd"! Why am I running an exe in order to do that????

As I asked in a previous post:
I also have an HP (750n) - are you telling me running winnt32.exe is basically a "repair install of XP Home" - without having to go thru HP's Nondestructive Recovery?? That file is sorta like an XP cd for repair???

Now I am really confused - I must be having a senior moment.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back