i D/L adobe reader 6.0. can i remove Adobe acrobat 5.0? or do they share files?

V

veronica

i upgraded from adobe acrobat 5.0 to adobe reader 6.0

thank you

Upgrade Gotcha
Once you've downloaded Acrobat 6, double-click on the file and the installation should go smoothly. However the installation isn't quite as smooth if you have an earlier version of Acrobat Reader already installed (and most of you will). You should uninstall any older versions of Acrobat before installing Reader v6.

The v6 installation does NOT remove earlier versions of the reader software nor are you given any option to uninstall then during the v6 setup. This is a strange choice for Adobe to make. It was probably done so developers could have multiple Reader versions present for compatibility testing. However most users don't need that since the latest Reader will read all PDF files, regardless of version.

The result is that you'll have both Reader v6 and an earlier version (probably v5 or v4) on the same computer. That's not a serious problem until you later decide to do some tidying up. You go to Control Panel | Add / Remove Programs and look down the list of installed programs. You'll see that there's both Acrobat Reader v6 and an earlier version. In the spirit of computer cleanliness you uninstall the older version. Good choice but then you can't read any PDF files!

Reason? when you uninstalled the previous Reader, it removed the file association that tells Windows to use the Reader with any .PDF files.

The solution is to reinstall Reader v6, naturally enough. But it should not be necessary in the first place, the v6 installer should detect it's ancestor and offer to remove it.

Jim: by editing one of the INI files you are able to make it uninstall the previous version. I know most of you are saying, "INI file? It's one file thats an EXE!" Well, yes, it is... But it does extract itself to a temp folder before installing. Intercept the files from that folder and edit the ABCPY.INI file. Of course it's just easier to uninstall the old version first and reinstall the new.

You may want to wait on uninstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0 if you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat 5.0 instead of just the 5.0 reader. I believe that the 6.0 reader will only let you view .pdf files and not edit them. I have both on my computer here at work, I just did a test on a .pdf form and it will not save data entered into a form using the reader. It says to save data you enter into a form you must use Acrobat instead of a Reader.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back