I can't access "My Document"

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinster, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

My Pictures etc... they show up but can't access. Are they there because of some programs will require them? Also I did a lot of backups of my reg so I can merge them into vista. Now that there isn't a My Document I'm assuming this will cause some problems.

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Did you check folder/file permissions and who has ownership of the folders/files?

3. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Yes... I'm the administrator.

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

That doesn't mean anything. You could be the administrator and not have access to folders/files, such as "System Volume Information". Did you CHECK the permissions and ownership of the folder you cannot access?

5. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Yes I did.. .

6. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

can you copy and paste these files? If so copy and paste them to a fat32 partition then move them back to ntfs. See if you then have permission to them.

7. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

When I copy and paste my backup copy to lets say "My Pictures" to "My Pictures" in Vista.. VIsta places them in a folder "Pictures", not "My Pictures" but "Pictures" even though "My Pictures" is listed under "Documents".

8. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Did you do an upgrade from XP? Or setup a dual boot with an existing XP install?

this is By Design

These are junction points to maintain compatibility with older and/or poorly written programs that reference hardcoded locations. By default, they have no read access on the junction points themselves but they do point back to the new locations in vista.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
    Sinster likes this.
  9. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

the reason i say copy and paste them to fat32 is that the files will lose their permissions as fat32 does not support the security that ntfs partitions do. Do you have a spare harddrive, or even a usb drive you can format to fat32?

10. fitz

Copy what files? he's trying to access the folders.. in this case, the "My Documents/My Pictures/etc" folders are not really folders (and not really shortcuts). They are Junctions which are similar to hard links in the UNix world. They are "pointers" in a sense to the new location that Vista stores files at. Copy a file to the "My Documents" folder in Vista and it really copies it out to the phyiscal location --> c:\users\<username>\Documents folder (note the absence of the "My" prefix)

You can't "Copy" the junction point since doing so would just copy the whole "documents" folder over the fat32 partitions and you would then lose permissions on all your files in that folder.

This is not a permissions issue since the junction points are by default set to deny read access. Please follow the link to the MS Support article I linked to in my post.

edit: You can also view this article for more info on Junctions and things to keep in mind for Junctions.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  11. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

No upgrade or dual boot. A fresh install of Vista.

12. fitz

I think the junction issue still applies.

13. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

ohh opps i misunerstood the problem.