I cannot defragment my drives!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by rhenk, Apr 3, 2002.

1. rhenk

rhenk Guest

I don't know what the hell is happening with my XP. I've tried to defragment my hard-drives but I can't. I've used the Windows defragment application, Norton Speed Disk, DisKeeper and O&O Defrag Professional Edition. All of them become iddle trying to defragment, even when they try to analize the drive. I've also tried a boot defragmentation, but it didn't work (it started to defrag the drive but suddenly stops and no defrag is done). The most starnge thing is that I've installed XP on two different drives to test if it was a problem of the drive, but I got the probñlem with both (could it be my XP?).

What happens? Anybody knows what the problem can be? O what can I do?
    Thnaks in advance.
  2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

what is your system specs and setup?
  3. rhenk

rhenk Guest

my specs

Pentium 2 333mhz
    320 mb sdram
    Creative 3D blaster banshee 17 mb
    soundblaster pci128
    2 harddrives (20 gb and 3,2 gb)
    dsl connection
    32x toshiba cdrom
    plextor 12x cdwriter

all with Windows XP professional...
  4. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

hmm Thats a problem I've never seen...you say they become idle..what happens if you open up diskeeper, click defragment...and just let it sit for the night? anything?
  5. rhenk

rhenk Guest

it keeps defragmenting hours and hours when it begins to defrag...

normally when I try to defrag it first goes idle when analyzing the drive...

yes, I know is a very strange problem...

I'm going to try a little trick: I'll install windows 2000 on the second drive so I'll try to defrag the xp drive from windows 2000...
    we'll see...

thanks for you answers!