I bet you can't solve this one

• Thread starter goldschlager101
  • Start date
Yes yes Event Viewer, by all means.

*gives Shamus MacNoob a fresh new sample*

fukitol_free_sample.png

Now this is the green pill, much stronger than the blue pill. :p

Get a screenshot and get the rest of the message , leaving out bits and pieces hinders the process.

MacNoob,

I would give you a screenshot but unfortunately this only happens when I'm shutting down so there's no way I know of to save the screenshot.

I've been able to write down some additional letters and numbers since my first message. It is as follows: "End Program ei40MfDXwK + 6zRn..." Let me stress that the only information in the message is the name of the program. It gives me the option to click an "End Now" button but the computer just automatically overrides that and shuts down by itself.

Last edited:
MacNoob and everyone else kind enough to respond,

I've read through all of your messages and I've used Event Viewer like you suggested. (Thanks for the tip. At least I'm learning new stuff.) Nothing so far. I'm going to have to pay attention to the exact times I shut down and then revisit Event Viewer to see if anything shows up at those times in any of the logs. I'll report back soon. Definitely by tomorrow.

It could be your virus checker thats causing your shutdown problem.

Some virus checkers like trend load up as a random series of characters to make them harder for viruses to shut down.

Yes yes Event Viewer, by all means.

*gives Shamus MacNoob a fresh new sample*

fukitol_free_sample.png

Now this is the green pill, much stronger than the blue pill. :p

Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!! cool stuff thx

It could be your virus checker thats causing your shutdown problem.

Some virus checkers like trend load up as a random series of characters to make them harder for viruses to shut down.

Yes I was leaning towards the virus checker also ...

merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Start over with a clean XP only install. Why troubleshoot an inferior install? Windows is twitchy enough as it is, a good foundation, free of any W98 registry remnants and overwritten W98 drivers, is the only way to go.

Start over with a clean XP only install. Why troubleshoot an inferior install? Windows is twitchy enough as it is, a good foundation, free of any W98 registry remnants and overwritten W98 drivers, is the only way to go.
I have never had a problem with an upgrade to xp...ever

Okay gurus,

I've decided to stop investigating this. I really think it's something innocuous and it's not causing me any problems other than taking my computer an extra second to shut down. And nothing is eating up the CPU usage in Task Manager when I'm using the computer.

I checked all 3 logs in the Event Viewer. Absolutely nothing is showing up in the Application Error Records at the times I shut down, believe it or not. In the Security Audit Records only normal stuff like "User initiated logoff" and "Windows is shutting down" shows up at the times I shut down. In the System Error Records only "the Event Log service was stopped" shows up at the times I shut down.

I'd like to thank everyone for all of their help. It was much appreciated.

Hey___ Maybe?

In the System Error Records only "the Event Log service was stopped" shows up at the times I shut down.

Could that be it?

"The Event Log Service Was Stopped" should be only a message/event, not an error/warning.

That is normal, it stops when you shut down :)

How do you install over an OS if the HD is formatted? OS -> Formatted HD -> New OS

No traces of what was there really.

Doesn't matter really, possible I mis-interpreted as well.

thats not true, just because you format a drive doesn't mean you are deleting anything, all formatting does is tell the OS its ok to write over that part of the drive or the whole drive.

All your files folders etc.. are still there until the blocks are rewritten.

In order to fully delete all files you need a program like kill disk that actually writes each and every block on your HD with 1's and 0's.

So it is theoretically possible for a virus to crossover from a formatted drive to the new os although i am not sure how it could do this.

that allways happen to me in my xp pro, but in my case is about a file that belongs to my anti-virus.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back