I am getting a new

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sinster, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

N2 Mobo. I am currently running a VIA Chipset. Will the 4 in 1 drivers I installed affect my performance? SHould I reformat? ( dont really want to)

2. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

with any mobo upgrade it is always recommended to reformat.......tho not set in stone, it will save future headaches......

3. rettahc

rettahc Guest

At the very least your going to have to do a repair install, if you dont when you put in that new MOBO and boot windows WILL give you a BSOD. but a format/clean install would probably be best.

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

if you want guaranteed performance and stability with your brand new nforce2 board, ALWAYS reformat. if you try to take the lazy way about it, speed will likely be affected and you'll encounter problems.

5. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

I agree. I went from an AMD chipset to a Via chipset without reformatting at first and did have a negative impact on performance, even after installing the proper (non Windows) drivers. I was expecting a BSOD but Windows just installed the drivers it needed to work. I didn't use the system long enough this way to see if I would experience other problems, I just wanted to see if it would work.

When I reformatted and reinstalled Windows, performance improved. Although, you might not ever notice if you just use office apps, email, and such.

6. deadzombie

deadzombie Guest

Why are you going VIA? I'm using an nForce2 (Asus A7N8X Deluxe) and it's amazing board.

Every review and benchmark I've seen shows the nForce2 boards rate higher in performance by at least 5-10%, sometimes even more.

7. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I am not I am going to NF2 board

8. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

i upgraded my motherboard while using Windows XP Pro and windows wouldn't even boot, I just got a startup error. I had to reformat and loose some files. I didnt really think bout trying to back them before.

9. deadzombie

deadzombie Guest

Sorry, I reread the post, and suddenly it made sense. Im still having problems with my English after 30+ years...sorry.:p