hub to hub .. do i need crossover cable? and cable length for Access point..

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi..
do i need crossover or straight cable too connect from 4port bog standard router, to a 4port bog standard hub/switch
(neither has uplink ports)
i think it should be cross, but not 100% sure

and the hub will be approx 20metres away from router, then an access point attched to the hub/switch, would that pose any problems?

the reason is where the router is placed, isnt really the ideal place for the wireless base to be.

Yeah, you still need a crossover cable. I would recommend buying one instead of making one, that way you eliminate the possibility of wiring it wrong and giving yourself endless headaches. The 20m should not be a problem at all.

cool thanks:)

one more thing about the access point...

should i set it auto and dhcp on? and nothing more too configure? will the router give it an address automatically..

also if it does give it an address automatically, how would i know what the address is to login and change other acceess point settings?

the routers ip is 10.0.0.2

would it be easier if i just disable dhcp... manually set the access points address to 10.0.0.100 and then the access points gateway address to the routers ip 10.0.0.2 ?

thanks again
k

"and the hub will be approx 20metres away from router, then an access point attched to the hub/switch, would that pose any problems?"

A cat-5 cable should be able to go 100 meters w/out signaL loss, i believe. Anyone care to verify or correct me. Also, if you know how to make a standard ethernet cable, a crossover isn't that hard to make. Check out:

http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp
this page should provide asome diagrams

good luck!

also remember that some hubs/routers/switches have a dedicated or specific "uplink" port which you have to plug the other hub into

Geffy said:
also remember that some hubs/routers/switches have a dedicated or specific "uplink" port which you have to plug the other hub into

see my first post

"(neither has uplink ports)"

See my second post -- you don't need an uplink port :)
It will work w/out one just as well.

P.S. Making cables can be more expensive than just buying them, unless you plan on making a lot of them in the future.

fimchick said:
See my second post -- you don't need an uplink port :)
It will work w/out one just as well.

P.S. Making cables can be more expensive than just buying them, unless you plan on making a lot of them in the future.

yup thanks, all understood,was just stating i had already said they had no uplinks:)

cheers

k

It's possible your switchs have auto-sensing ports (like mine does) so it can swith the TX and RX around if needed (no need for X-over cable or an uplink port)

Am I missing something? Router to switch/hub is a strait through cable. Router to router or switch/hub to switch/hub is a cross over cable.

Some of the commercial routers have little hubs built into them (if the router has more than one LAN interface then it probably is a hub) In this case it would be a crossover cable.

Sorry, you are correct...in a way. If this is new equipment, then the router will have a built-in crossover and would work perfectly with a straight-through cable. The older equipment would require a crossover cable for that setup to work. =]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back