hub to hub .. do i need crossover cable? and cable length for Access point..

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by _kC_, Nov 12, 2004.

1. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

Hi..
    do i need crossover or straight cable too connect from 4port bog standard router, to a 4port bog standard hub/switch
    (neither has uplink ports)
    i think it should be cross, but not 100% sure

and the hub will be approx 20metres away from router, then an access point attched to the hub/switch, would that pose any problems?

the reason is where the router is placed, isnt really the ideal place for the wireless base to be.

2. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

Yeah, you still need a crossover cable. I would recommend buying one instead of making one, that way you eliminate the possibility of wiring it wrong and giving yourself endless headaches. The 20m should not be a problem at all.

3. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

cool thanks:)

one more thing about the access point...

should i set it auto and dhcp on? and nothing more too configure? will the router give it an address automatically..

also if it does give it an address automatically, how would i know what the address is to login and change other acceess point settings?

the routers ip is 10.0.0.2

would it be easier if i just disable dhcp... manually set the access points address to 10.0.0.100 and then the access points gateway address to the routers ip 10.0.0.2 ?

thanks again
    k

4. fimchick

I think the latter should work fine for you.

5. suicide_pact

suicide_pact ---pro a.v. geek

"and the hub will be approx 20metres away from router, then an access point attched to the hub/switch, would that pose any problems?"

A cat-5 cable should be able to go 100 meters w/out signaL loss, i believe. Anyone care to verify or correct me. Also, if you know how to make a standard ethernet cable, a crossover isn't that hard to make. Check out:

http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp
    this page should provide asome diagrams

good luck!

6. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

also remember that some hubs/routers/switches have a dedicated or specific "uplink" port which you have to plug the other hub into

7. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

see my first post

"(neither has uplink ports)"

8. fimchick

See my second post -- you don't need an uplink port :)
    It will work w/out one just as well.

P.S. Making cables can be more expensive than just buying them, unless you plan on making a lot of them in the future.

9. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

yup thanks, all understood,was just stating i had already said they had no uplinks:)

cheers

k

10. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

It's possible your switchs have auto-sensing ports (like mine does) so it can swith the TX and RX around if needed (no need for X-over cable or an uplink port)

11. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

12. mrowton

mrowton OSNN Junior Addict

Am I missing something? Router to switch/hub is a strait through cable. Router to router or switch/hub to switch/hub is a cross over cable.

Some of the commercial routers have little hubs built into them (if the router has more than one LAN interface then it probably is a hub) In this case it would be a crossover cable.

13. fimchick

Sorry, you are correct...in a way. If this is new equipment, then the router will have a built-in crossover and would work perfectly with a straight-through cable. The older equipment would require a crossover cable for that setup to work. =]