HTML tags with Mozilla

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Jewelzz, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

I'm still pretty new to Mozilla, when I'm posting news on the front page I often use {li} (replace {} with <> ). I've recently noticed the bullet doesn't show with Mozilla. Does anyone know why or if there is a similar HTML code I can use that will viewable using Mozilla, IE, Opera and any other brower?

2. Jewelzz

Ok I found that here, posting news I can use the {list} tag along with {*}blah blah{/*}{/list} but I shouldn't have to, {li} should work

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

true, <li> should work.
    I dont know how the news posting is handled, but the bullets probably dont show up because of Mozilla running in compliancy mode (due to a header sent by the page)

4. Jewelzz

My head is spinning now, thanx SPeedY_B :p

5. SPeedY_B

What format where you trying to make a list with?
    it should be :

<ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <li>Item 2</li>
    <li>Item 3</li>
    </ul>

6. Jewelzz

Just <li> not ending tag as EP said I didn't need to

7. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

hmm, did you start and end the list with <ul> </ul> ?
    Mozilla is very picky when it comes to code.

8. Tabula Rasa

you do.

you can make a regular list using the <ul> tag, or a number list using the <ol> tag.

9. Jewelzz

I only use <li>, that's all I've ever used and the bullet is visible in IE but not Mozilla.

10. SPeedY_B

ok, basically you dont need to close the tag for a browser to render it as a list.
    BUT because NTFS.org is classed as an XHTML document, the browser will read it that way, and the XHTML specification requires that all tags are closed.

Mozilla, being a compliant browser, when told that a page is compliant, will render it in a compliant way, if the code isn't ACTUALLY compliant (ie: no </li>) then Mozilla will have a wibble :p
    IE doesn't care either way, but we all know that IE is sh!t

11. Tabula Rasa

IE is less strict.

if you want to get the list in mozilla youl have to do it this way:

<ul> (or <ol>)
    <li> Benny </li>
    <li> Jewelzz </li>
    <li> Dave </li>
    </ul> (or </ol>)

<ul> will make a regular list,
    and <ol> will make a number list ( 1. Benny 2. Jewelzz 3. Dave )

12. Jewelzz

Apparently Mozilla is sh!t too lol, sorry SPeedY_B. I just updated the AVG post in downloads on the front page, added </li> and the bullets still didn't show.

I used Benny's way <ul> <li> list</li> </ul> and there was a space in between each listing, which I don't want. I modified it and didn't use the ending </li> and it seems to give me what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help guys :)

13. SPeedY_B

your entitled to your opinion :) And as long as you have everything working, good.

Basically the problem here lies in the fact that the page claims to be compliant, yet it blatantly isn't (VirtuaNews' fault) if we removed the DOCTYPE tag from the header, the page would render fine in mozilla (including that graphics glitch on the top by the menu), and we would not be making a false claim.

14. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

May Jewelzz can tell them to remove the doctype till they fix the site.

All ya'd have to do is remove this line:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

15. SPeedY_B

Or commenting it out would do for now.
    <!-- tag -->

It is quite annoying that VirtuaNews provide (at cost) something that claims to be compliant, yet isn't at all. If they'd simply leave out, or comment out (leave an indication of what type of code is aimed for) then these small rendering problems wouldn't arise.
    At present the page claims to be XHTML 1.0 Trans, but actually gives 541 errors when checked for compliancy.

16. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

I'd don't think the problem is with VirtualNews, but NTFS coding. The image problem occurse in NFTS coding and not part of VirtualNews. Anyways, he is planning to fix the problem in the new schemes or whatnot he is making.

17. SPeedY_B

Thats the point though, the entire code of NTFS is actually VirtuaNews and vBulliten, obviously news and forum posts add to the code.
    All I'm saying is that commenting out the DOCTYPE, giving the end-user the option to re-enable it, would be a good idea, as compliant browsers can then compensate for code that doesn't follow the specified document type.

18. Jewelzz

SPeedY_B has brought this up to EP before and I'm sure there was some reason for it not being fixed :shrug:

19. SPeedY_B

I think its because its only waddy that has actual access to the template files.