HP OEM Installed XP

Also, I've never tried it, but say you borrowed a friends XP cd, could you install it on your machine and use the old OEM key?

you cant use a oem version on a normal version of windows XP it will no accept that as a legit key. Tried it already.

This may be pushing the envelope as far as warez goes - so if it is considered warez - just delete it.

I have XP Home OEM installed on my HP - but the "backup utility" is not automatically installed (as it is in XP Pro). However the backup utility is on the XP Home cd under NTBACKUP.MSI and anyone who has the "XP cd" can install it.

Now - I f I borrowed an XP Home cd, could I install it on my system - since the instructions state: " Simply install the XP CD, and run NTBACKUP.MSI program from the folder D:\Valueadd\mst\ntbackup. This will launch the Windows Backup Utility Installation Wizard, which installs the utility automatically."

It does not mention needing a key (which I have but is an OEM version) or anything - plus I feel that I should be able to at least add the backup utility to my system!

The best way to do it is to get a Clean copy of XP - I had Windows ME OEM in my pc (It's an HP by the way) .. It was constantly crashing and not doing anything right, I believe I got 10 BSOD's in a matter of Five minutes - So I dumped it and put a clean Copy of XP in and haven't had a prob yet ... I even reinstalled the format CD from HP with no probs.

I just wiped the disk, used a windows 98 boot floppy to make a partition of 20 gig from the 80 gig HD, then put xp in and let it format it to ntfs. When it was installed I used XP to make a backup partition with the unallocated space. Worked prefect and hasn't been problematic yet .. I will state that I reformat at-least once every six months though whether it needs it or not ..

I don't like OEM OS's mainly because the Computer companies don't care what they put on the OS, even if it is incompatible, it's just based on how much the software companies pay them ..

This is the reason I am building my next PC as well .. ;)

When you build a PC you can get those cool cases with glass side-panels too.

Just to stick my pennie's woth in about XP. My new copy of XP Home (upgrade only) arived on Friday. As explanied by a few guys, all I had to do was install XP CD, (on my new HD) which would then ask for verification that i had a previous copy of Windows, and I would get a clean, XP only installation.

Probem was when promted to insert floppie from previous Win, I stuck myWin '98 restore disk in - which it would NOT accept.

However, I had a Win '95 disk from 1996 and stuck that in, and lo & behold, full installation.

As someone quite rightly said to me when enquiring about buying full copy or upgrade, there is NO reason to waste money on full copy if you can lay your hands on an old Win '95/'98 start up disk.

Hope that helps clarify matters

Well, I'm thinking that if you have the OEM XP key, then just borrow a friend's XP cd and then use your legal key when asked. Seems like it would work. You might have to make the necessary reg changes re: OEM/Retail/Corp version.

Originally posted by tibboh
Just to stick my pennie's woth in about XP. My new copy of XP Home (upgrade only) arived on Friday. As explanied by a few guys, all I had to do was install XP CD, (on my new HD) which would then ask for verification that i had a previous copy of Windows, and I would get a clean, XP only installation.

Probem was when promted to insert floppie from previous Win, I stuck myWin '98 restore disk in - which it would NOT accept.

However, I had a Win '95 disk from 1996 and stuck that in, and lo & behold, full installation.

As someone quite rightly said to me when enquiring about buying full copy or upgrade, there is NO reason to waste money on full copy if you can lay your hands on an old Win '95/'98 start up disk.

Hope that helps clarify matters
Let me get this straight. You were doing an upgrade to xp & at some point it asked for a floppy? Not the winn9x cd? And it worked using a boot floopy? Was it a clean installation? No operating system on the drive?

If that's how it went then that is amazing. Good ol MS strikes again. :D :D

I have installed xp on many hp and compaq computers using a win 95 or win 98 cd's. All were clean installs with the upgrade disk. Also, the reason for the xp installs was cause win me was crashing the computers.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Let me get this straight. You were doing an upgrade to xp & at some point it asked for a floppy? Not the winn9x cd? And it worked using a boot floopy? Was it a clean installation? No operating system on the drive?

If that's how it went then that is amazing. Good ol MS strikes again. :D :D
You hace to remeber that when Windows 95 came out it was released on both floppy and CD-rom. I had a copy of it on floppy I think it was something like 13 disks and installing it really sucked.

Pavilion7965

Hi All,
I have a Pavilion7965. The performance since SP1 I can't tell you. The number of conflicts I've had. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times. I finally got it up and running for about three months and then it started conflicting with the sound.
There was a sound delay of about three seconds which drove me up the wall. I thought it was just me but it happened three times.
Its working ok now but not with SP1.I put all the patches back in and it works ok. I would never touch another HP.
Best Wishes to all,

me and damnyank had a little go at trying to extract windows and burn to cd but we didnt have much luck... all that you can do is get rid of it and install xp from retail disk... it solves so many problems and removes barriers which would have existed with a pre installed copy. and dont mention how fast and reliable it runs:)

hey george pomone that uses via onboard sound... go to windows update and under drivers should have an update. that will solve your prob with sp1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back